Starting a rocketry club?

Hi everyone,

I'm a BAR (for the fourth time), except now it's different. I have a

2yr old daughter who attended her first launch yesterday. She had a great time watching us launch and even rocovering rockets that were close enough for her to run to. I let her press the button a bunch of times and she loved that too.

When I looked around, I noticed more parents in the soccer field with their kids all pointing up screaming "there it is!! see it?!? wow!" and suddenly I realize this hobby is for more than just me.. I get even more pleasure watching the kids get excited about rockets.

The problem is that the nearest rocket club is a couple of hours away and rocketry activity in my area is at an all time low. If I wanted to start a club for the kids around here to build and fly rockets, how would I go about it? Obvioiusly I could put up posters at the local hobby store and in the toy section at walmart (maybe), but regarding running the meetings, picking a location etc, well, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
nam

BTW I did read the pages on NAR's website about starting a new section.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
nam

Here is a link to NAR's Starting a New Chapter. It gives you all the info you should need. Easier to view than explain.

Bill Eide

suggestions.

Reply to
Bill Eide

Tom: first contact NAR HQ and get a NAR member listing for your state....you may find some NAR members close to you that may also want to help start a NAR section....this assumes you want a NAR section...if you want a non affiliated club, then consider placing posters in local hobby shops, contacting local schools,etc.... shockie B)

suggestions.

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Soccer moms! rocketrys' worst enemy! They'll get you banned from your field quicker than the BATF!

Dale Greene SPAAR 503 looking for a new field in central PA

Dale Greene

There are two things you can carry to get soccer moms on your side, and one additional thing you can do to win their hearts.

Chocolate. Decent chilled bottle of wine (with cute Dixie cups).

Keep the kids busy for 10 minutes while the moms enjoys the above. This only works if you are friends with one of the moms and always stay in view with the kids.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

You're lucky you got spectators & not protestors. We use to launch from an adjacent football field on Sundays & 1 of the rockets came down on a field in use some of the parents complained about us with the concerns of it hitting one of the their children playing pee-wee football.

Good Luck

JD

suggestions.

Reply to
JDcluster

from this I deduce that zoot is either female (and a mother), or a casanova

:o)

- iz

zoot wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Whenever confronting them, counter whatever their arguments are with the fact that yes, you are always seeing ambulances at the field, but for some reason they always seem to be picking up patients over on the soccer side, not the rocket side, and that they appear on the scene whether rockets are being flown or not. .

Reply to
Anonymous

"Which side are you on?" asks Ismaeel. "That would be telling" replies Zooty.

Anyway, what difference does it make. Six to one....

Zooty

Why's this damn weather balloon following me?

Reply to
zoot

Yeah, the one time a soccer game was at the same time as our rocket launch on the next field, that was the only time we saw an ambulance at the site...

I don't remember soccer being that dangerous in high school...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Well, you probably neglected to note that the ambulance was probably called because some of the parents beat up on the coach for not giving little Johnny more playing time!!!

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Top 3 sports for injuries to children:

  1. Soccer
  2. Baseball
  3. Football

My statistics come from being president of a youth association here for 8 years. It cost us more for insurance for soccer, than baseball and football combined.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

They don't confront us directly (in fact they often come over and watch) but they complain to the school board that the noise disrupts practice. Now we have had a great relationship with the school board over the last 15 years BUT 60 soccer moms all pay taxes to that district whereas only a couple of our 60 members live in that district

- numbers talk!

Dale Greene SPAAR 503

Reply to
Dale Greene

What city and state are you located in. Some states have regulations requiring permits.

We have a helpful info sheet on our club website:

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

The noise only discrupts practice beacuse, obviously, the kids are more interested in watching the rockets than in ruining their knees and scrambling their brains. You can buy a *whole* lot of kits and motors for what the ACL surgery will cost, and not have to go through all the pain and rehab, either!

Reply to
Anonymous

NIRA had used its original field for about 3 decades when we lost it to soccer moms. We paid $20 for our rocket insurance for the year. The park district paid $60,000 for the soccer program insurance. We never had any claims.

Which one is most dangerous?

Bob Kaplow