Getting off the back burner

Glad to see most of the regulars are still writing.

Quite frankly, I've let my memberships in the local club and national organization lapse, as I have been busy buying house and making babies (had

1; 2 is on the way). I haven't been on this NG in months. My level 1 and 2 projects stalled, half done, and are accumulating fine dust collections.

The only rocketry - related projects I have been involved in was with my Boy Scout Troop once or twice.

I have longed to punch holes in the sky. It sounds like the "hobby" is still breathing despite taking some major "hits". Gone are the days when I knew little, was unaware of national clubs, politics, and controlled space/turf. I enjoyed the thrill of seeing my creations whoosh into the sky, wondering why everyone wasn't out there to feel the same rush of excitement. I remember the glee in finding out that there are large clubs of other rocketeers out there.

Oh, those were the days. Now as I think of it all, the thrill and nostalgia is tempered by the other garbage and regulations. No, this good experience too would come with some sort of price.

I remember a thread about a year ago, that for some reason left a bad taste in my mouth, and I nearly decided to drop the hobby altogether. The issue discussed is of little consequence. It was more the attitude and tone it left me in. Rules and control are only good up to the point that it fosters everyone enjoying the pursuit of happiness to the fullest extent possible... not to punish the many for the errors of the few. I have not given it up, only stopped awhile to take a breath and enjoy some of the other important things I hope to do in my life.

I miss the hobby, but quite frankly, am not quite sure where and how I should get back into it. ARSA? NAR? TRA? Private self-launches? Small stuff? Big stuff? Strictly Boy Scout launches?

I just want to be able to get together with some rocket-loving folks and fly. My tiny but modest 8 foot 10 pound rocket project would be exciting to finish. But is it worth it?

I want to go to Hell Fire next weekend and see where I fit in. Maybe I'll bring the Scout Troop with me. After next weekend, I hope to either be "lit up" again, or done with it. This middle of the road stuff is getting old.

~Duane "here's hoping it is as good as it used to be" Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

I find your philosophical attitudes very, very refreshing. You give me hope for the future singlehandedly. I am reminded of thousands more people like you that want similar simple and positive experiences from rocketry. Those folks are better served by independent launches with just enough rules to stay safe and follow the law, and othing more. Not one thing more.

You will certainly not acieve that ideal at a NAR or TRA launch these days, but the experioence is nonetheless fun. Join NAR as your "all access pass" to NAR/TRA events, but for the new casual, join IEAS.org and for no extra charge get invitations to truly impressive advanced launches.

And never downplay those scout launches and private family gatherings. Those are the ones you will remember more fondly than an LDRS or a Hellfire.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hook up the locals, and see who you like and who you don't. Base your decisions on that -- if you get into anything organized, those are the folks you're most likely to be launching with, anyway.

You may also find that amongst the locals, which launch you go to makes a difference on who's there. In our club, we have some who rarely attend low power, others who rarely attend high power, and some who attend both.

Find what part of the hobby makes YOU happy and go with it.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Welcome back!

Don't let some thread, any thread, ruin flying for you. Jump back in any place, just start enjoying again. : )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I just "got back in" after many years out and I am having a blast. In my case, I'm having more fun with scratch model rockets than anything else, though I've got some MPR/HPR stuff in progress.

I have no independent launch areas available nearby, but my NAR section club (CRASH) is great; lots of friendly, interesting people. Highly recommend that you look for a club in your area.

By all means, take the kids. Just be prepared to take them back again. :)

Happy flying.

Reply to
Gary

Duane, did you make it out to HellFire? I hope we see you back in the swing of things, we miss you! :)

Neal Baker

Reply to
Neal Baker

I appreciate the notice Neal... sadly, everything went south that weekend.

I was in the middle of a mini-van purchase Friday afternoon, that went missing on one scrappy document (my last year's tax statement) which was faxed by my tax consultant, but the credit union misplaced... this killed hauling out the Boy Scouts to see the wonders... half of them didn't even show up at the appointed meeting place... nobody felt like cramming into my little Tempo to make the haul... and I had not time enough to file a tour permit with the Scout office... so I post-poned the campout to next weekend, and took the wife out instead to try to take my mind off of it all. I was bummed out, and my wife could tell... it was a depressing evening... then one of my clients cancelled on me the next morning, who was going to meet me there Saturday morning. Finally, my daughter's birthday was Saturday afternoon. So there you have it.

One the good side of things, the van loan went through Monday, and has lots of great space for rocket trips (seats 8), and I am coming up with some great ideas of a removeable rocket rack for the top of the van...

But it still bites that I missed out on the event. I have pretty much decided that I *must* finish the projects I started... what with all the trash-remade-into-very-cool-rocket-parts designs that are nearly done, it is obligatory at this point.

So how did it turn out?

~Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

I'm going the opposite direction in my vehicle search. Last night I took a ride in a street assassin 396 stroker Z28 putting out well over

400hp to the wheels BEFORE a 200hp shot of nitrous. Fortunately, I already have a minivan to haul rockets; this car will be for hauling a$$. ;-)

Lloyd, if you're reading this. The car also has a TCI TH400 w/manual valve body, 3600stall TC, transbrake, 4.10 rear and bulletproof subframe connectors, tranny crossmember, 12 point adjustable shocks on all 4 wheels and a single 4" exhaust dump in the stock location. This car, on the bottle, would give Kurt's 'Busa a run for its money. ;-)

On a rocket-related note. We have a launch scheduled here in MI 2 weekends from now and I'm trying to finish up my "true Woody" in order to fly it on my first hybrid motor.

Mark Simpson

Wouldn't a rocket motor be sinpler and cheaper?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's what they all say, like the guy in the Z06 the other day. Him got his feelings hurt. Badly. ;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

some deleted

I don't think so. If you consider that we make at least 5 runs/day and have to propel a 3400 pound car down the 1/4 mile track, I'd imagine I'd eat a lot of rocket motors on any given day. ;-)

Mark Simpson

Stock Z06's don't impress me, either. There's a supercharged one here in MI with a license plate that says "Torxilla" that does, however. He drove it 150 miles to the dragstrip and ran easy 11's on street tires with a very stock looking car.

Mark Simpson

Let's test that theory. And let's get the speed up at least 20-40% too.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Um, several.

Reply to