LDRS BB Contest

Did anyone beat Geoff? ....Ed

Reply to
Ed Rowe

From ROL: Nope.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Reply to
Dan Chandler

Close finish indeed. Geoff used a tube launcher and Doc went off a rail according to Doc. The tube seems to be the way to go. Kudos to the the winner and first loser. :-) A good effort by all involved.

Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

887-2370 x222 Toronto (410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

I have issues with some of the "induced paradigms" of the BB contest but I wouldn't want Geoff to think some of the vacuous ribbing I gave him in person would be mistaken for real issues.

I went into that noit liking a BB contest - blindly, I admit - but it was pretty cool.

IMHO, if Derek didn't drop his laundry on the way up, I'd guesstimate he woulda been right up there with Geoff and Doc.

Reply to
Gene

If it wasn't for Geoff putting his money on the line, I never would entered the contest. Thanks for the motivation!!!

Congratulations to Geoff, Doc and all the other flyers.

Summary of my LDRS 23 experience:

1) 300+ hours design, construction and testing ......Tiresome

2) $800+ for material, electronics, tools, motors etc. .......Poor return on investment

3) Recovering my primary Bowling ball rocket with a shovel ......PANIC!!!!

4) Frantically completing my backup rocket and having a successful flight. ......Relief

5) All the stuff I learned along the way and the joy of friendly competition ..... Priceless

Geoff, thanks again for the motivation and to all the people I met, and especially to BRS for the great job hosting the launch.

Wait until next year....

Rich Kroboth TRA#4148 L2 Webmaster Metropolitan Rocketry Association (METRA) Northern New Jersey Prefect #94

rich kroboth

Just for the record, who used what motors? The AT I600R and CTI I540 sound like a couple of cool motors, was it one of these 'specials' that won it in the end?

-- Niall Oswald ========= UKRA 1345 L0 EARS 1151 MARS

"Gravity assisted pieces of the rocket raining from the sky should be avoided. It is also financially undesirable." Portland State Aerospace Society

Reply to
Niall Oswald

There is no more $ for the competition next year. It'ds gonna be braggin' rights only...

Reply to
Gene

Both Geoff and I used the CTI I540. I know I would have won if I could have used the tube. :-(

Reply to
Doc

That's enough for me!

Reply to
Doc

Thanks to YOU Anthony for making those motors.

Reply to
Doc

I too would like to thank Geoff. (and have done so personally.) His cash prize really stirred up a crowd. There was some extremely inventive ideas and hopefully this part of the hobby will grow. I have been lofting bowling balls for a few years, but never worried about how high it would go. He has taken that part of my hobby to a new level.

There has been some things said, mostly at LDRS. Geoff beat me fair and square. Yes, he used a tube, harnessing a bunch of the initial thrust. I used a rail. At the 11th hour, he graciously offered the use of the tube, but it was taken down early so I couldn't use it. His flight was the higher ball and that is that. Contrary to "rumors" there is no animosity between us. Again, he beat me fair and square.

Watch for future updates. I WILL beat the record!

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Reply to
Gene

Doc / Geoff (et all)

As a "Bowling Ball Rocket" newbie I can appreciate the amount of work that went into your "most excellent" construction and design. Bluff body aerodynamics is a real challenge that I will continue to explore for next year. Bragging rights is enough for me also..........

I would like to gather some pictures of the other contestants and their rockets for our website. The altitude, weight and motor used would also be helpful. Contact me off list at snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

Thanks, Rich < bowling ball rocket newbie > Kroboth TRA#4148 L2 Webmaster Metropolitan Rocketry Association (METRA) Northern New Jersey Prefect #94

rich kroboth

Sounds like someone realized others could do it. Got by on an altimeter anomalie this time.

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Doc, Knowing you, thats what I would expect. The real question is, "What was your descent rate? And what was his?"

Too bad I had to drop out, it would have really mixed it up.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Mine was around 15fps. I don't know what anyone else did.

There would have been 3 of us scracthing at the finish line!

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Point!