Got me an _amazing_ antique lathe mega-gloat--what do I have?

Very strange day for me. I'm low on sleep, so forgive me. Up at 5am to give a guy a vintage snowblower for his collection of 32. That went well, then hit the local yard sales. Ended up with a little old Sears power hacksaw for $25.

Then went to the dump for some sightseeing. First person I saw was a friend who say "do you want a free lathe?". Turns out someone asked him if he knew anyone who could use a lathe. The fellow's moving and can't bother with it. And did I mention he lives 1/4 mile from my house?

I check out the lathe, and it's a "Davis" from around 1920, about a 13" swing with a 5' bed. In very good shape (needs repainting and I can't quite catch a fingernail on the bed wear) but completely dissasembled. It's really too big for me, but man oh man, the tooling, the tooling. Probably ten (10, one-zero) _full_ boxes of cutters, holders, bits, collets, closers, indexer, steady rest, follow rest, maybe a taper attachment, maybe a turret and milling attatchment, two five-gallon buckets of chucks and faceplates of all sizes, centers, toolposts, wrenches, a case of changegears, a jackshaft, drills, etc, etc, etc.

I mean _everything_ humanly possible to get for a lathe is included with this. So I threw caution to the wind and called my buddy with a pickup. We managed to get everything in two loads. The bed with original iron legs weighs a ton and was a hassle, but it was on casters and loaded OK with two people and ramps. A few hours later I have this monster crammed into my packed garage.

Anyway, I'll post some other threads with specific questions, but has anyone heard of this brand, and how'd I do? Need someone to confirm I didn't screw up. Metalworking tools are so uncommon around here I don't have reasonable experience.

Arggggg, need sleep and food... Oh yeah, Lennie probably gets dibs on that rough Barnes in the other town.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

No, it's not. Odds are good that within a year of getting it set up for use you'll find something where it would be nice if it were bigger. But it is a good size as hobby lathes go.

Hmm, lathe, boatload of accesories for that lathe, cost $0.00 - not bad, not bad at all. Perhaps next time you could get them to pay you for taking it away... ;-)

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Well its about time, after all the tools I have found you beat me today. I did pick up 3 lapidary saws at a tag sale for $40.00. No idea what I would ever do with them, but I would think they must be worth a few bucks there must be 6 diamond wheels with them.

Reply to
Wayne

Very nice. Can you see the jealousy glow from there? =)

Reply to
Statics

Talk about having the outhouse floor collapse, and coming up smelling like white lilac.

I've never heard the name before, not that that means anything, but guessing that it's 36" between centers, and with 13" swing, it won't be long before you'll find something that'll make you wish it was either 42" or 16".

Yeah, I'm interested in the Barnes, but a little further away, like in the Milwaukee area. Iffen you'd be interested in packing and shipping for a reasonable fee, and the price is ok,,,,,

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Full name is "WP Davis" from Rochester NY. I measured and it's a 12" swing. You're probably right about the c to c size. Seems very well made.

Now I've found an actual problem with it. It seems to have been used this way for decades, but the compound slide isn't original. It's easily 1/8" too wide for the base's dovetail, and the wrong dovetail angle. This is a downer. Looks like I've got some work ahead of me. And those apron half nuts don't look great...

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I love it when the tooling comes in units of "buckets."

I got a deal like that once.

Jim

jim rozen

How about some photos in the dropbox? A good score. It is hard to beat free... Geoff

Reply to
geoff merryweather

Missing gib? Check those boxes and buckets of tooling for a hunk of steel about the right length, with the appopriate angles to make it fit. Otherwise, make one or two.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Used to buy end mills that way. You have any idea how many end mills,

3/8" and smaller, are in a five gallon bucket? All Regal-Beloit, some in pretty good shape, some burned off. Quite a few larger ones too, up to 1 1/4". Not to mention the taps, center drills, and a few countersinks in the lot.

Too damn bad we don't get them anymore. $75 for a five gallon bucket was nice.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Many of the older machines, those well known and not so well known, were very well made. The older machines do tend to have spindles that could benefit from a lot more beef, though. Some were exceptions, Hjorth being one of them.

Compounds being changed wasn't all that uncommon at one time, "mix and match" until you had a machine that did what you wanted it to. There must be half a dozen different methods of repairing half nuts, all of which work. We normally make a bronze insert, silver solder it in place then split it. Haven't had one come back yet. Sometimes trying to figure out how to hold the arms can be a pain, but once it's bored, then the insert soldered in, it works well. For bigger ones, we'll put in flathead screws from the outside, then grind them to make sure there's no interference from the screw in the threads.

Oh well. I've got the SB 9" model A to the point that I can start brazing the guards back together. Backing a tractor over them doesn't do them any good. "Kibbles and Bits." (9" X 36" bench model, I've gotta think about a bench for it pretty soon. I'll make that like I do most of my benches, 2 X 4's on edge with threaded rod holding them together, then planed flat. Makes a solid bench, but heavy as hell.)

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I was thinking more along the lines of turret tooling!

Jim

jim rozen

I was thinking more along the lines of turret tooling!

Jim

jim rozen

I bought an outboard motor like that once, a four cylinder five horsepower Evinrude. This was back in the late 50's, the motor had to be thirty years old then but when I got it all together, it started right up and ran smooth as silk, never did figure out why it had been dismantled other than perhaps idle curiosity. Wish I still had that old beauty. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Have to admit that I wouldn't mind a five gallon bucket of box mills, slide heads, knee tools. Unfortunately,,,,,

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Thats how I got my BMW motorcycle. It came in 3 large boxes and a couple 5 gallon buckets. A week later I took off for an all weekend ride on it.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Those bikes you can do that. The mechanicals are basically John Deere and are pretty intuitive. The electrics and fiddly bits on them don't age as well. I just purchased yet another bmw and it rides just great, but the electric tach just quit, one of the horns fell off (already fixed) the switchgear on the bars is kind of dodgy, and I keep finding all kinds of peculiar, uninsulated, spliced wires hanging around.

If I didn't "do" electrics I would be profoundly disturbed. However because I do this thing falls into the catagory of 'stray cat that needs some attention' instead.

Jim

jim rozen