NAR HPR Safety Code

Does the NAR High Power Rocket Safety Code have to be followed, exactly, at a NAR HPR launch?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

Ask Mark Bundick, NAR President that simple question and see what he says :)

"Mark B. Bundick" * mbundick -at *- earthlink - dot -* net-

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Are you serious?

What would you like to not follow?

Phil Ste>

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

That whole motor certification thingy.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

After reading your "name" I'm beginning to agree with those who dislike anonymous posters.

Reply to
NaCl

Who is Craven Morehead?

Fred

NaCl wrote:

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

A real concern about Rule #4. Hate to be limited to "only...NAR-certified" motors. I would like to also use TRA and CAR-certified motors.

I know that some are going to argue that there is some reciprocal agreement (couln't find it posted anywhere). However, if you read the Model Rocket Safety Code, it allows generic "certified" motors. Therefore, there must be something important about the "NAR-certified" limitation. Finally, they proceed this "NAR-certified" limitation with the word "only" which directs exclusivity (i.e., not allowing others, nothing else or more).

Therefore, the reason for my use of the word "exactly" in my question.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

I believe the NAR considers anything on its "combined" list to be "NAR-certified" for safety purposes, even if it is simply listing a motor which was actually tested by CAR or TRA. I doubt that NAR intends to ban motors that were tested by the other organizations.

(Ask your friendly neighborhood RSO for a binding interpretation.)

Are there any TRA-certified or CAR-certified motors that NAR is _not_ including on the "combined" list?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

who is John Galt?

- iz

W. E. Fred Wallace wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

The NAR doesn't necessarily have every document posted and ready for your inspection on the website. I'm sure there is documentation supporting reciprocal motor cert agreements with CAR and TMT. Just because you can't find supporting documentation does not mean that it does not exist in one form or another.

If you don't agree with what the organization is about, then don't join or renew. Sheesh. That way you don't have to whine about Dr. Rocket cases or motor certs anymore. Get your own waivers, and fly Jerry's or your own motors to your heart's content. You don't *need* any of the national orgs, you can be a lone ranger.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Don't ya just hate "Pink Book Lawyers"? Especially when they are RIGHT?

Jerry

"Cheer up, they said, things could be worse. So we cheered up and they were right - it got worse."

"Yes, and I want to personally thank you for your tech contributions in those forums. Good stuff."

- Mike Fisher

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Who isn't?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I never claimed that it didn't exist. Just that I couldn't find it. Therefore, I couldn't verify the wording or the authority of those that made the agreement.

I see. All I did was ask a couple of questions about wording. I had concerns (enough that I felt the need to start questioning the integrity of the NAR after reading so much mudslinging about motor certs, decertifications [who can and can't fly Kosdon motors?], what parts substitutions are allowed/disallowed). The use of words is very important, especially when it comes to writing rules and regulations. The appearance is that the national organization doesn't seem to be following their own rules and when questioned about it, you tell me to quit whining. And you must be giving me what represents the typical treatment of prospective new members.

"Our rules might suck, but leave them alone because they are our rules and we have always done it that way. Go get your own" -- paraphrase of J. A. Michel

Thanks alot.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

don't you mean the lone rocketeer ? shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Hell No!

I've seen pretty much every single code violated by the local NAR section, J motors off the G line, home brew motors launched (or should I say CATOed), but only after the range had been "officially closed" for a good 10 seconds, RSOs openly drinking etc etc.......That said, I don't consider any of these violations to be dangerous, modern motors don't produce shrapnel, the closer to the pad the safer and I enjoy watching buffoons spend lots of money crashing rockets, most of which are real nice guys BTW. I'd still take my kids to one of their launches.

Now, so much as MENTION a sugar motor and you're a god-less barbarian who launches illegally, burns down the range, leaves beer cans all over and rapes the local livestock.

The real irony is our EX launches are conducted far more safely, our homemade motors, each lovingly and precisely made, are far more reliable than any mass- produced inferior-designed screw-together certified crap and we haul out our own damn trash!

It's all in the mind-set of the participants, any yahoo can glue together a kit, slap in a BOUGHT motor and fly it. If it CATOs or lawndarts into the spectator area, who cares, it's certified! the RSO passed it! we're insured! "Think I'll have another beer and stuff a J in it this time...." A lot of these guys are basically shooting legal fireworks and act accordingly, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's still safe and a lot of fun.

We spend untold hours researching, designing and constructing our motors, every batch of propellant is precisely prepared, cast and tested, every piece of hardware is machined to tolerances that make AT motors look like Mexican bottle rockets and you should see our airframes! We know what's gonna happen when WE PTFB.

Nowadays, and I get a tremendous kick out of this, is bragging about having a LEUP......Christ-on-a-crutch.....In my opinion such fear-driven obedience is treasonous to our founding principles. I take great personal pride in my civil disobedience and have taught my children likewise. When I joined the Army, 5 years Airborne Infantry kiss my ass you REMMFS, I took an oath to defend my country from all enemies foreign and domestic, I will proudly honor that oath til I draw my last breathe....freaking LEUPs for toy rocket motors, grow some BALLS guys.

Of course the last laugh is always ours, we're paying about 6 cents on their dollar for our propellant and no LEUP required.....

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of the hypocrisy.

These opinions are mine and mine alone, disagree? No chili for you.

Jim Rutkowski Executive Chef - TrailerTrashAerospace

Jim

Was it GOOD chili?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I never bring any home.

Jim Rutkowski Executive Chef - TrailerTrashAerospace

Jim

Damn, I like a good chili!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis