NAR HPR Safety Code

AFAIK the last record was the inclusion of the organization's response to NPRM 968 back in July

====

U.S. District Court District of Columbia (Washington, DC) CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:00-cv-00273-RBW (excerpted)

TRIPOLI ROCKETRY, et al v. BUREAU OF ALCOHOL

07/29/2003 60 NOTICE OF FILING by plaintiff TRIPOLI ROCKETRY, plaintiff NATL ASSN ROCKETRY RE: the filing of comments in response to defendant's proposed rulemaking on a 62.5 gram exemption for APCP; exhibits (3) (bjsp) (Entered: 07/30/2003)

====

BTW, you can check the status of the TRA/NAR vs BATFE lawsuit online yourself (hey, this is still America, isn't it?)

from Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) at

"The PACER System offers an inexpensive, fast, and comprehensive case information service to any individual with a personal computer (PC) and Internet access."

from PACER registration at

"There is no registration fee. For your information, the Judicial Conference of the United States has established a fee to be collected for access to PACER. All registered agencies or individuals will be charged a user fee. Access to web based PACER systems will generate a $.07 per page charge"

go to the PACER page above, and register for a login. You will need to provide a Credit Card number.

using the login credentials you got from PACER, goto to the D.C. live database website

at

the TRA/NAR vs BATFE case number is 00cv0273 (1:00-cv-00273-RBW)

run a query on "00cv0273" (case number field), or on "Tripoli" (last name field)

you can choose what reports you want, but the "Docket Report" will show any new events

be careful if you ask for a document list that the "show included documents" box is unchecked. If you just want lists, they tend to fit on 1 or 2 pages, so the charge is just 14 cents. They bill quarterly, IIRC, and if the charges are less than $10 they defer them.

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Manufacturer OK end runs around the certification process should not be allowed. The only user mods should be the ones that were certified, as in the CTI delay adjustment. And we really need tighter control on manufacturer design changes triggering recertification.

Bob Kaplow

Why is it when field practice disregards unreasonable rules, the reply is to make "better more detailed" rules?

I have a radical suggestion. Adjust the RULES down to reality.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sport rocketry is built on commercially avialable motors. Untrained users should not be modifying motors to fix manufacturing defects. Defective products should be returned to the vendor for replacement.

Jerry, I'd think you'd be all for that policy regarding "errortech"

Bob Kaplow

Agreed 100%. However the user CAN adjust delays according to INSTRUCTIONS, tool or not. They can apparantly also set-up secondary ejection charges and primary ejection charges, dual deployment, staging and clustering. All within the existing safety code.

Maybe there need to be more rules about manufacturing defects so we can have 500% fewer rules on consumers. Most of the problems we have are not caused by product design or the safety code. They are caused by administrators and non-compliant manufacturers who ARE NAR/TRA certified!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Where do you stand in regards to Estes allowing scraping of the clay cap? That is a manufacturer authorized modification.

steve

Reply to
default

Bob, have you ever scraped the clay cap on a D12?

steve

(I aplogize if you have never flown a motor that big)

Reply to
default

In this case it specifically changes the properties of a certified motor in at least two meaningful ways. It reduses the propellant mass and increases the initial surface area. Both modifications taken independently would clearly void any motor cert.

Unlike a delay mod, other delay mods ARE allowed. There are NO motor mods allowed at all under any rule. As such there is no jurisdiction to recommend them and as such every such modified motor was a "Dangerous Device" as defined in law and it was official TRA policy to do that. Thus TRA is a criminal enterprise and criminalized every user who listened to them. All allegedly of course.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Which law? A modification could be considered as making it a "not-certified motor" - where is that legally declared to be "Something Else"?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

The reference to rockets over 4 ounces being regulated. The state laws that adopt NFPA "if" the motor is "properly certified".

The particular motor at issue has several "disqualifying" events:

TRA rules:

Do not modify the motor (ie drill its core)

The motor to be certified MUST be sumbitted by its original manufacturer. No AT by Ellis J350's were tested prior to them being certified for use at TRA sponsored and insured launches.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

yes, but he didn't inhale

and he didn't have sex with 'that woman' either

- iz ;)

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Just wait until you fly in California... you thought the definition of "have sex" was elastic? According to our State Pyro Code, the licensed pyro operator is really "using" all the HPR motors that fly in our rockets - we're just "helping" him put them in the airframes and apply the electricity to the igniters.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker