Converting Newton/secs into pounds of thrust

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me (show me how to) convert newtons into pounds of thrust. For instance an Estes "C" produces 10 Newton seconds
of thrust... What would this be in pounds of thrust? Is there a formula, can I assume?
Thanks everyone Richard
Divide Newtons by 4.5.
-- David

Correct, convert Newtons to pounds force by dividing by 4.45.
But, I think he may be confused about the total impulse implied by a "C" motor and the average thrust, designated by the number after the total impulse letter.
Estes has a C6 and C11 motors, both of which Estes rates at 10 Newton-seconds total impulse. The C6 has an average thrust of 6 Newtons. The C11 has an average thrust of 11 Newtons. Dividing average thrust by 4.45 you get average thrust of 1.3 and 2.5 pounds respectively.     Happy holidays,     Will
David wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
Thanks guys.... this really helps. I guess what I am after then is total thrust an engine produces from start to finish... Am I right in assuming... ("C" and "D" engine comparisons) total thrust in this example?
CouldBeFlying wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
Check out www.thrustcurve.org for lots of good information. It should have everything you need
CouldBeFlying wrote:

You need to look at the thrust curves and other data on the NAR website. This will help clarify the difference between "thrust coming out of the motor at any given point in time" vs. the "total impulse delivered by the motor over the entire burn".
The letter class of the motor is only the POSSIBLE total impulse range *if* they packed the motor to the maximum allowed in that class. You can have a D motor that is *not* a "full" D (like the Estes D12). Look at the NAR data for various Aerotech D motors for a good comparison. Many are a full 20 Newton-seconds of total impulse, but some burn slower with a lower thrust level for a longer time, while others burn faster with a higher thrust level for a shorter time. That is why the number after the letter is important: it tells you the average thrust in Newtons. Divide that number by 4.45 to get the average thrust in pounds.
BUT you should also look at the curve, since many motors have large variation in thrust over time, and the initial peak thrust is also very important to get the rocket off the launch rod fast enough to fly stable. Compare many curves on many motors to see the wide variety available.
Heck, look at the not-so-subtle differences between the D12 and D11 and the C11 and E9 from Estes. They get the differences with different nozzle diameters and different counterbore depths.
--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply

This should be in the FAQ.