Determine lbs of thrust

I hope I'm in the right newsgroup... if not... please suggest a better one. I've developed a new type of model jet engine and I'd like to determine its approximate horsepower and/or pounds of thrust. Is there a simple way to determine this? If not. could you please refer me to some technical book.

Thanks. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve

try either rec.models.rockets or uk.tech.rockets. there are people there who can provide a better explanation than me!

regards

Reply to
Richard Armstrong

will the engine run in the vertical position? mount on a platform

pointing upwards. put the platform on some scales and weight it dow with a substancial weight. note the reading on the scales. fire it u and take care not to set the scales on fire! take a secon reading,subtract the second from the first and you have pounds thrust this is the weight that the engine is actually lifting shown as force

or make a rolling trolley with four wheels and mount the engin horizontally.hook up a piece of steel cable to the rear and then to spring balance anchored solidly. fire it up and the force on the sprin balance is the thrust measurement but includes friction in the trolle

-- bolma

this thread:

bolmas

The simple way is to mount the engine on a sliding table held against a spring balance. The thrust of the motor will move against the spring balance and give a first approximation of the amount of thrust available. Be careful with the design of the table and restraint features to ensure nothing goes flying off in any direction!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Thanks for all the help... I sure do appreciate it... Steve

Reply to
Steve