ATFE Anti-rocketry Video

[from the ARSA news webpage]

ATFE Forces Aerotech To Provide Motors For ATFE Anti-Rocketry Video from

December 20, 2003 - Since the publication by ARSA of the ATFE's attempt to produce an anti-rocketry video on the dangers of hobby rockets to commercial aircraft, vendors and manufacturers have refused to sell to the ATFE. This resulted in a letter from the ATFE to the president of Aerotech, Gary Rosenfield demanding that they deliver 40 G80 motors to the ATFE. The ATFE letter claimed the hobby rocket motors were needed in the interest of national security. The letter claimed Aerotech had no other option under the law and the motors were to be delivered to ATFE agent David Shatzer. Aerotech delivered the motors on December 9th.

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Get the video - and then run it with the same van ignited with Gasoline.

Difference?

Reply to
Stephen Corban

G 80s? National security? This is a sad group if G 80s are the big threat to national security. The motors should have been happily handed over provided Gary was given the opportunity to video tape the event. This stinks of a twisted contortion of the patriot act. All the batfs have to do is yell 'terror' and they can do as they please. This country is going to hell in a handbasket. We need John Stossel to do a piece on them. Or 'it's your money' on ABC. Someone should be ble to expose these frauds.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote in news:Rk6Fb.21291$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

I don't see how the ATFE can force Aerotech to deliver anything to them. They cannot take property without compensation,or evidence of some crime(and a search warrant).I don't see how they can force Aerotech to SELL them anything,either.

But I'm not a lawyer,either.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

National security. What are you,... a commie?

{raising the eyebrow and giving the evil eye}

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Geez, I know Aerotech motors are hard to come by in certain areas BUT........

Reply to
tater schuld

has anyone contacted this David Shatzer?

Reply to
tater schuld

I'm surprised no one yet has noticed ---

Do you realize this means, for the first time, that apparently ATF is now going after MODEL ROCKET MOTORS?

(Under the 62.5 gram exempt limit - the G80 has 57.4 grams, according to the NAR cert sheet).

Reply to
BB

If I were aerotech I would have said "F&$K OFF"

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

There must have been a quick emergency as the batf@#$ needed some quick burning flares. Joe McCarthy would be proud.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I'm sure they may have felt the same way, but someone probably decided it made better business sense, in the long run, to not butt heads with the folks that they had to deal with on routine business connected with their status as a "licensed manufacturer of Explosives".

You know, I can't actually blame 'em - with their tail evidently in some kind of crack already just trying to get the new facility making motors and money, I can see 'em not wanting to go to the trouble of arguing if the BATF is trying to talk hardball. (Sounds like they already blew their lawyer budget - and then some - on the Las Vegas litigation...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

AHHH, how can they purchase all these J350's without being cert. Level 2? I can't even buy an H motor before I cert. level 1? Hmmmmmmmmm.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cordes

I would have said, fine then. The national emergency price is a mere $1000 each, a pittance. Compare that to goods and services being delivered in Iraq by favored vendors.

ROFL

Keystone Cops.

I have heard three second hand confirmations with people in the need to know loop. That makes me third hand.

Bruce Kelly is NOT President. Bruce Kelly is not on the Board. Bruce Kelly is not an appointed PR person or at minimum should be banned for life from being such.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

When they order you under the "obvious guise" of "national security" you are in fact compelled. I would however challenge the validity of the order itsself post facto and sue for damages and a permanant injunction from ATF making or enforcing such an order. Only the national command authority shoould be able to make such a claim.

I would price the order to accomodate those "necessary" costs fully with some slack.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

BB wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Did someone buy them for the BATFE? Does this not make them a dealer? Is the BATFE going after them for not having a LEDP? Double standard?

Is TRA/NAR going to revoke this guys membership now?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

The same way NASA gets to buy SRB's from Thiakol without a Level 3?

Reply to
Tim

I've had a couple of SRB's on order for quite some time but they don't take PayPal so I'm hosed.

Skinner

Reply to
SmokestackThunder

Just send 'em cash. If you can't trust a big governmnent contractor, who can you trust? ;)

Reply to
Tim