ATFE Anti-rocketry Video

Just a guess here, but I think the certification requirement for flyers would be worthless if anyone could get around it just by claiming to be a vendor.

Reply to
RayDunakin

There was a time when NAR would revoke the membership of people who flew uncertified motors at independent launches. However, I've never heard of TRA ever doing that or threatening to do that.

Reply to
RayDunakin

So what are you saying, Iz? That Estes motor packs oughtta come with a 5 cent refund on each spent motor case ?

Doug I wanna believe it, but I gotta see the video...

And if they were using J350's, why would they switch to G80's?

If the 3 stooges are ever reconstituted, I bet the ATF would make for dozens of good story ideas :)

Reply to
Doug Sams

No they picked a different poison to "seem different" but the motives were precisely the same.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I was not aware that states had facilities and budgets for rocket motor certifications

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Even CA who receives HUGE fees and has a code does not actually test the stuff, much less to NFPA-1125 standards.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Our cans say CA. We have no can tax.

Joel. phx (AZ)

Reply to
Joel Corwith

you're not paying attention (again), Ray

see todays posts on the effect of NFPA codes on non-TRA/NAR activities in adoptive states

fetch

- iz

RayDunak> Shock wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

we've established that there is nothing to prevent TRA/NAR members from flying uncertified motors in non-adoptive (NFPA) states by themselves or at indy launches, other than the membership agreement to follow their respective safety codes (which enforceability is questionable)

for TRA/NAR non-members in non-adoptive states there is _absolutely_nothing_ to prevent them from flying uncertified motors by themselves or at indy launches

so it seems you have at least that market at present

[unfortunately, NY is an NFPA state. While my neighboring NJ and CT are not IFC states, I do not know if they have independently incorporated NFPA rocketry codes. I need to do some research, and see if there are any indy sites in NJ or CT if they have not.]

- iz

Jerry Irv> >

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Doesn't that depend on the exact linking language? Is there a provision in the IFC (or in legislative language adopting it) that says "anything not specifically regulated by an applicable NFPA code is forbidden outright"?

We've maybe got some buggy code here - either absurd or self-referentially self-canceling.

(IIRC from reading my "Tripoli Safety Code" copy, NFPA1127 appears to both disclaim applicability to, and to forbid, all rocketry outside its scope...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Which state did you contact?

Joel.phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Would that be the requirement for EX numbers, a requirement which you claim was _your_ idea?

Reply to
RayDunakin

NFPA 1125 has very specific packaging and labeling requirements for motors. After reviewed these I can see no reason why they would bot be acceptable in NFPA adoptive states, in spite of that packaging and labeling not being required there.

So for motors meeting the NFPA packaging and labeling requirements, labeling as such does not preclude their distribution to non-NFPA adoptive states regardless of their certification status. These same motors could of course be distributed to NFPA states if they are certified.

Motors not meeting the NFPA packaging and labeling requirements could never be certified, as verification of compliance is a part of certification. Such motors could be distributed only to non-adoptive states.

to summarize:

______________1125 packaging 1125 certified ok to distribute? NFPA state yes yes yes NFPA state yes no no NFPA state no n/a (impossible) no non-NFPA state yes yes yes non-NFPA state yes no yes

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

yes, it was NAR I was thinking of

I stand corrected

- iz "is not perfect"

Jerry Irv> >

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

He said that they (NAR/TRA) should consider ASKING (that's spelled A-S-K-I-N-G). Nowhere did Jerry say anything about REQUIRING (that's spelled R-E-Q-U-I-R-I-N-G).

Do we need to get out the dictionary and show you the difference in their meanings?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

Ok, so what's the point of a certifying authority "asking" for EX numbers if they don't "require" it?

Reply to
RayDunakin

You guys insist on having the same thread over and over again.

Pistols at 30 paces.

Reply to
NaCl

I live in California. Remind me again why I should belong to NAR or TRA...

Reply to
NaCl

yes, of course

- iz

David We> Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

which did you?

since it was your idea, I figured you at least made some attempt to see if it was feasible

- iz

Joel Corwith wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed