FAA Waiver question

well the good news is I got a callin standing 18K waiver at our Sims farm site. The bad news is I am having trouble getting a 5K waiver for the MSP site. At first the FAA guy said he was going to ok it. Then his supervisor said NO as its in the ILS Flight path or very close to it.

SO I explained to the FAA guy that ALL we were planning on actually launching there in the first place were Model Rockets (which are exempt,up to a point, more on this in a minute) and Large Model Rockets which only require notification.(NOT PERMISSION)

The reason I decided to apply for a FAA waiver at this site was to try and be viewed as a responsible and good neighbor to the local airport. Back in April Per FAR I did the notification to the Airport manager and the ATC at Bluegras Airport that we would launching model and large model rockets.

To make a long story short, the Bluegrass Airport ATC manager went ballistic on me and told me that I could not launch model or large model rockets there as it would cause a collision hazard with his aircraft. Itreid to inform him that according to FAR I was resposnsible for doing a 360 sky sacn prior to any lauches so as not to cause these potential aircraft collision hazards, and well didn't agree that was enough safety in his mind.

I tried to point out to this ATC manager that I was asking for his authority to lauch, I was provdiing notification and he had no authority to deny my model rocket or large model rockets launch.

SO he called a FAA Supervisor in Louisville , who then called me and told me in not so many words, that true, the FAA had no authority to disallow this model rocket/large model rocket launch BUT if we needed any FAA waivers in the future from the Louisville office, if we didn't comply, they would take their time okaying any future faa waivers on our behalf......

So I decided to comply and called off the launch.

SO I then made the recent decsiion to apply for a FAA waiver at this MSP site, even though we would still ONLY be flying model rockets and large model rockets. I know a FAA waiver isn't required per FAR, but I thought from a enhanced safety POV, if I got a FAA waiver, a NOTAM would be issued warning aircraft of where and what we were doing, and I even suggested that I call the local ATC provide them launch notification 30 min prior to us launching.

You are probably asking, well why apply for a waiver when you don't need one. My reasoning was that G powered model rockets and large model rockets can easily hit 5,000 ft.

So heres my question:

Sec. 101.1 Applicability.

(a) This part prescribes rules governing the operation in the United

States, of the following:

(3) Any unmanned rocket EXCEPT:

(i) Aerial firework displays; and,

(ii) Model rockets:

(a) Using not more than four ounces of propellant;

(b) Using a slow-burning propellant;

(c) Made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic, containing no substantial

metal parts and weighing not more than 16 ounces, including the propellant;

and

(d) Operated in a manner that does not create a hazard to persons,

property, or other aircraft.

Ths tells me that Model Rockets are totally exempt from FAA regulation as long as (d) is not violated. At that point they lose their exemption from FAA oversight. If this is true, who's responsiblity is it to determine that I might be operating a model rocket in such a hazardous way? If I am following the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code to the T, then theres no way I could possibly be in violation of operating a model rocket in a hazardous way towards aircraft as :

Flight Safety. I will not launch my rocket at targets, into clouds, or near airplanes, ....

Then aren't I taking full resposnsibility and making the safety determination myself? I mean no rockets will ever be lauched if there is any aircarft within eyesight.

I might add that Iam between 4-5 miles from the airport in question, and its a small regional airport .

Finally, the FAA person who is doing these waivers is in agreement with me that 1. no faa waiver is actually required to fly model rocket or large model rockets as long as I do the subpart C LMR notoification procedures.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Back when the new FAA regulations were released that increased the 1 pound limit and created the 3.3 pound limit LMR category, we were all told to NOT apply for waivers for LMR, because the regulations were revised to specifically define them and their requirements. There is nothing to waive.

Waivers cost time and money to process. Please do not waste their budget.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

For fear of being flamed, why not push in the future getting rid of the notification baloney for models less than G impulse and less than

3.3lbs? I've had people give me the mis-information that as long as the model weighs less than 3.3lbs. and less than G impulse, don't bother with notification. Well heck don't have a less than a nominal flight or terrorize someone in a Cessna 150 and get caught as one could get fried. For higher weight and impulse, I agree with limits/waivers as the last thing I want to do is scare the flying public and send spurious returns on the radar screens. Am fortunate as I do have access to a club site with a waiver but it is a hassle to fly my modified Super Big Bertha at 750grams on a G38-7 which only just clears 1300'

Kurt Savegnago "not yet certified" Well maybe next season!

Reply to
Kurt

You should follow the regs.

Reply to
Phil Stein

You should follow the regs. Nothing more - nothing less. If you are in a situation where all you have to do is notify, then just do that. Although well intentioned, I think that doing anything more can set an undesired precedent. The rules are black and white. Everyone is subject to the same rules and I don't see how rules as specific as

101.1would be subject to any difference in intrepretation.

If at all possible, I'd try to meet with the airport manager and make peace with him. You will be in a far better position in the future if you have a good relationship with him.

With the IFR situation you describe, I would make damn sure that I don't launch anything into a cloud. Especially on cloudy / overcast days.

Lastly, I hope things don't get to this point but if the FAA guys drag their feet on giving you waivers or whatever, you can always make a call to DC. Hopefully things won't get to that point.

Reply to
Phil Stein

If you terrorize any aircraft you may have a problem weather you have a waiver or not. The waivers I've gotten clearly start that we are not to cause any 'situations' with any aircraft. I'm not sure if the NOTAM attracts sight seers or if people never read them. I'm sure it's one of the two. Anyway my point is that as long as everyone is playing by the rules, there shouldn't be any problems.

Reply to
Phil Stein

You are correct, but they explained their logic in great detail when the final rules were released. they really want the notification for that range of models.

Perhaps after a sane number of decades there would be a good reason to revise it (i.e.simplify)?

I would suggest asking the NAR folks who are on the committees that deal with these regulations. They will have the best information.

-Fred Shecter

Reply to
shreadvector

Cute.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the other followups to your post to do exactly what's required by regs/law -- nothing more, nothing less.

We're (MTMA) very lucky in that at KCLE FAA center we have very good, informed, and responsive folks to handle our NOTAMS, and waivers. Never had a single problem with any of our launches...

However, I'm sure there are other places in this country that have "less than standard" persons in those same positions.

"It's always easier to apologize than to ask permission."

-- Grace Hopper, and many, many, others...

FWIW...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

ok I'm ging to follow everybodies advice and withdraw the FAA waiver request tomorow when the FAA guy calls me back and just go with model rocket and LMR regulations as far as notification is concerned. Perhaps I will also invite the ATC manager guy to consider coming out and observing a launch to see how safety conscious we actually are.

I am convinced that when we call in our waiver to lauch rockets that people in cessan's show up to watch whats going on....I mean, there usually isn't any aircraft trafic in a certain place and you issue a notam and all of the sudden you got of these small aircraft in the airspace.... maybe its coincidence?

And not we usually only have lauches on clear blue skies so that visiability is at a maximum.

thanks for your comments

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

In Taiwan people are usually very noncompliant. They have the attitude of whatever they can get away with... If there were model/HPR activities I can bet 80% of them wouldnt bother with any sort of notification or waviers. Hell people shoot off 3 inch shells all the time and you're talking half a pound of explosive projectile.. thats got to be more dangerous than rockets... even though they are technically illegal no one seems to care (motorcycles always run red lights... dont ask me why)

-- TAI FU

Tai Fu

Kind of shoots the impression that people there are realitively smart, right between the eyes.

If it happens that often, you need to get yourself a video camera and stake out a busy intersection. You could make some money providing crash footage to the local tv station.

Randy

<randyolb

My reaction to this is so what. It is not regulated. Better to not be a squeeky hinge. It seems you have been oiled. Welcome to the party. My section went though this last year as you probably know from when you were on NAR Sections.

The fly in the ointment... Do you have any real confirmed reports of near misses or safety violations on your part? Or is the airport manager operating under paranoia? I will assume the latter.

Yep.

Yep.

Yep. Welcome to the party pal.

So simply notify and launch your low/mid power rockets. If you even have any HPR to do, deal with it at that time. But do not screw the pooch if it isn't needed. And frankly it sounds like you did yourself in on this deal.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Under 16 ounces, no notification. 1 lb to 3.3 lb = notification. Larger than 3.3 lbs = waiver. This really is all anyone needs to know. It isn't very complicated. However we have had some confusion when we called for our notification this year. So it seems in some cases, there are clueless people in positions that should have educated them to know the rules much better. It is unbelievable. So I am not surprised people are getting the run-around.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

I have $20 that says there is no way in hell he shows. We offered the same to our local airport personal. No f-ing way... They would have to admit everything was cool. And there is no way they would do that. Anyway good luck on that.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Well that is great and everything. But what does it have to do with the issue at hand?

Reply to
Greg Cisko

I suggest you go higher rather than be a victim of these threats. ANd report them to their superiors.

For 101.22 notification, I usually use 3000', as that's about the peak for an AT kit with an AT motor. Sure, a G25 in a minimum diameter bird can go higher, but that's not what we encounter at our launches. Giving them an absurdly high ceiling just makes your problem worse.

It doesn't say no aircraft in sigth. It says you can't create a hazard to them. A let at 37000' over your Alpha is not a hazard.

The original draft of the NAR HPR code did have the "aircraft in sight" clause. I got it removed by insisting that I would enforce it at NARAM-33, which was NAR's first ever HPR launch, 19 miles from O'Hare field. There would NEVER be a window we could fly under that rule.

We have had more problems with random individuals at small regional airports than at ORD.

Get in touch with my FAA contact in the Chicago area. He's helped with problems like this before. There is also someone at the Kankakee FSS who is actually writing an FAA document on rocket launches. He's L1 certified!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

It's both.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

well I just got off the phone with the Principal Operations Inspector at the Louisville FSDO office and he agreed that the waiver was not needed as we will be flying ONLY model rockets and Large Model Rockets and he also is going to have an "education" talk with the Bluegrass Airport ATC Manager.

SO it looks like we will now be able to launch MR/LMR at MSP without any further interference from the ATC guy. MAybe after we get in a few MR/LMR at MSP later next year we will try for a %K waiver to do small H HPR.

thanks for everybody that contributed

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I agree there Phil but with the "advice" I am receiving above, I suspect there are a lot of folks who don't bother with the notification rule. If they are called to question, they're cooked. True, I could get into trouble with my Apogee Aspire going up on an F10-8 or breaking mach on a G80-10 if I don't clear the area first! :)

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Only if the weight exceeds 1 pound...