amateur rocketry questions

AT what point, in terms of propellant mass and /or overall rocket weight, do you have to notify the FAA of an amateur rocket launch and get a waiver?
shockie B)
shockwaveriderz wrote:

Not 100% sure on that one, but I suspect the same rules apply to amateur rockets as to model, large model, and HPR. All unmanned rockets, except those under 1 LB in weight, fall under FAR 101 activities; at least that's the way I read it.
Fred

I am sure and have the answer on a website of course, but Fred has spoken, so that shall be the last word indeed.
GAWD....how hard is it to answer the man's questions without dishing crap. You sure do a lot for the hobby with this attitude!
- less than 1 pound pad weight = no notification - Above 1 pound and less than 1500grams and less than 125g propellant FAR101 - Above 1500g or 125g propellant = full waiver

Hey! Well you know :-)

But he already knows all of this. Probably far better than most do. So I do have to wonder why he would even post the question! This is all very basic stuff.
--

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Does the fact that the motor is uncertified (implied by it being an amateur as opposed to high power launch) make a difference? What if it is a homemade (amateur) motor with less than 62.5 grams of propellant flying in a rocket weighing less than 1 pound. Is there any sort of waiver needed in that case? Perhaps the FAA doesn't care, but some other agency does? I've never made my own motors and don't have any plans to do so, but I've always wondered what the rules were.
Jonathan ----- Jonathan Sivier Secretary, Central Illinois Aerospace jsivier AT uiuc.edu NAR #56437 Tripoli #1906 CIA Web Site: http://www.prairienet.org/cia / Home Page: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jsivier/www / ----- "Remember to always keep the pointy end up."
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c fr&sid4cc240560f6be3097af590651c4ba8&rgn=div5&view=text&node:2.0.1.3.15&idno
"Jonathan Sivier" < snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
Jonathan Sivier wrote: > Does the fact that the motor is uncertified (implied by it being an > amateur as opposed to high power launch) make a difference? What if > it is a homemade (amateur) motor with less than 62.5 grams of > propellant flying in a rocket weighing less than 1 pound. Is there > any sort of waiver needed in that case?
Yes, EX/research/amateur rockets need waivers per the same criteria as model rockets. The FAA pretty much doesn't care about the certified status of the rocket motor. FAR 101 does speak of "slow-burning propellant" but I didn't see a specific limit listed.
Basically the FAA cares about rockets that can cause damage, either directly or by interfering with a flight path. This is a weight issue, except for that vague "slow-burning propellant" concern. (The reference to the burn rate is in the part that speaks about exemptions to FAR 101, specifically rockets under 1 lb using less than 4 oz of "slow-burning propellant".)
> Perhaps the FAA doesn't care, but some other agency does?
You mean besides the ATF? :-)
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)
Steve Humphrey wrote:

There's always the local Fire Marshal.

FAA is a different jusridiction entirely from NAR, TRA, ATF, DOT, etc.
FAA is 125g propellant OR 3.3 lb+ liftoff, waiver required.
Waivers are free and easy to obtain.
Ask Ray.
Jerry

LOL!!!
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Yea but you pay your FAA violation fines at the same address you pay DOT assessments. Isn't that right Jerry??
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:40:03 -0500, "W. E. Fred Wallace"

It's probably the same place he sends all his money. ;-)
Phil Stein wrote:

You are correct, from what I hear.. It's for sure, none of his previous partners were paid for any of those model airplane parts.. (;-)

amateur
homemade
case?
my
what the

Unmanned rocket is unmanned rocket.
FAA does not care about certifications of motors.

yes, IF it is in controlled Airspace.
most of the US is controlled above 1200 feet.
some in the US is controlled above 14,000
you have to find it on the maps.
if you are flying in uncontrolled airspace no waiver or notification.
CD
Cranny Dane wrote:

Are these maps available online by chance? If not how could one of us rocket peoples acquire such a map?
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

hi Ted,
they are your airport sectional maps.
you can buy them at your small local FBO like airport.
same maps you use to get radial VOR co-ords to file a waiver.
one whole US master is online, posted here on r.m.r. about a quarter ago, let me see if I can find,
looking....looking...looking...
ya know that dog that scratches about while you are searching ?
he came from the Microsoft Bob program Gates' wife put together,
oops sorry , cliff claven like trivia....
here you go,
http://skyvector.com /
they have them all on line.
it's better to use real maps, more interactive to me ;)
I really owe that link to another r.m.r poster and could not find his name to reference credit since credit is due, sorry.
I'll try to dig up his name, the uncontrolled airspace is dark blue bands with a smooth line on one side and a blurring line on the other and marking saying 9,600 14,300 etc..
look near black rock he posted last, it's like 9.6 and 14k uncontrolled. but that is MSL not AGL.
and the rock is at 4K already.
look around phoenix lots of uncontrolled space in certain areas.
you can also fly your unmanned rocket in certain restricted airspace IF you have the militaries permission.
look at the thumb of Michigan.
CD
Cranny Dane wrote:

Kick butt! My buddy bought a 10 acre lot in southern MN and he wants me to me show off a few of my rockets. I haven't seen the plot myself but he swears it's perfect for some of my F/G birds.
When were kids we used to fly together. Maybe this'll set the hook and get him off his lazy butt.
Thanx!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

yea, back in the day an I motor could kick a bruiser to 900 feet and stay under the 1200 foot control
be careful, some areas in the upside down wedding cake of major airports have controlled airspace lower and some places to the ground, like around Detroit, Chi town, etc..
the sectionals will show all that in their legend.
goggle controlled airspace and see all the info.