amateur rocketry questions

AT what point, in terms of propellant mass and /or overall rocket weight, do you have to notify the FAA of an amateur rocket launch and get a waiver?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Not 100% sure on that one, but I suspect the same rules apply to amateur rockets as to model, large model, and HPR. All unmanned rockets, except those under 1 LB in weight, fall under FAR 101 activities; at least that's the way I read it.

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

I am sure and have the answer on a website of course, but Fred has spoken, so that shall be the last word indeed.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So what is your point? I am sure you know all of this stuff already. Do you think amateur somehow has some different connotation separate of an unmanned or model rocket?

Sheesh.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

GAWD....how hard is it to answer the man's questions without dishing crap. You sure do a lot for the hobby with this attitude!

- less than 1 pound pad weight = no notification

- Above 1 pound and less than 1500grams and less than 125g propellant = FAR101

- Above 1500g or 125g propellant = full waiver

Reply to
freda

Hey! Well you know :-)

But he already knows all of this. Probably far better than most do. So I do have to wonder why he would even post the question! This is all very basic stuff.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Couldn't resist, could you Jerry??

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Does the fact that the motor is uncertified (implied by it being an amateur as opposed to high power launch) make a difference? What if it is a homemade (amateur) motor with less than 62.5 grams of propellant flying in a rocket weighing less than 1 pound. Is there any sort of waiver needed in that case? Perhaps the FAA doesn't care, but some other agency does? I've never made my own motors and don't have any plans to do so, but I've always wondered what the rules were.

Jonathan

----- Jonathan Sivier Secretary, Central Illinois Aerospace jsivier AT uiuc.edu NAR #56437 Tripoli #1906 CIA Web Site:

Page:
"Remember to always keep the pointy end up."

Reply to
Jonathan Sivier

Whats a matter? You can't read?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Fred Shecter

Jonathan Sivier wrote: > Does the fact that the motor is uncertified (implied by it being an > amateur as opposed to high power launch) make a difference? What if > it is a homemade (amateur) motor with less than 62.5 grams of > propellant flying in a rocket weighing less than 1 pound. Is there > any sort of waiver needed in that case?

Yes, EX/research/amateur rockets need waivers per the same criteria as model rockets. The FAA pretty much doesn't care about the certified status of the rocket motor. FAR 101 does speak of "slow-burning propellant" but I didn't see a specific limit listed.

Basically the FAA cares about rockets that can cause damage, either directly or by interfering with a flight path. This is a weight issue, except for that vague "slow-burning propellant" concern. (The reference to the burn rate is in the part that speaks about exemptions to FAR 101, specifically rockets under 1 lb using less than 4 oz of "slow-burning propellant".)

You mean besides the ATF? :-)

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

sheesh people.... 4 murders in one small thread.....no wonder nobody comes here and posts anymore...

anyway...I was asking because I wasn't sure.....I figured there are people here who do AR/EX on a regular basis and would know for sure....

The question was put to me and I wanted to be sure..

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

There's always the local Fire Marshal.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

FAA is a different jusridiction entirely from NAR, TRA, ATF, DOT, etc.

FAA is 125g propellant OR 3.3 lb+ liftoff, waiver required.

Waivers are free and easy to obtain.

Ask Ray.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The problem is that you asked a question with a seemingly obvious answer.

Reply to
Phil Stein

LOL!!!

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yea but you pay your FAA violation fines at the same address you pay DOT assessments. Isn't that right Jerry??

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

yes, IF it is in controlled Airspace.

most of the US is controlled above 1200 feet.

some in the US is controlled above 14,000

you have to find it on the maps.

if you are flying in uncontrolled airspace no waiver or notification.

CD

Reply to
Cranny Dane

Unmanned rocket is unmanned rocket.

FAA does not care about certifications of motors.

Reply to
Cranny Dane

Are these maps available online by chance? If not how could one of us rocket peoples acquire such a map?

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d