HPR question

No. Actually, undre the NAR safety code, a single lone wolf rocketeer can go out and fly all he wants. It's "organized" NAR launches that need things like an RSO, LCO, SCO, etc.

But of you go back and read the original question above, it does ask about an NAR Section run launch.

Bob Kaplow

Or on their own once completing the TSO process...

Bob Kaplow

Which brings us back to my argument from long ago that the test should be before L1, not L2. You don't get to wait and take the written part of the driving test until you go past an auto license and apply for a CDL, do you?

Sounds like at least one organization should seriously consider using at least this rule.

Bob Kaplow

I prefer the NAR terminology. An RSO is the head person supervising the entire operation. Usually wandering the range and looking for trouble. Not doing the tasks deligated to other officials, such as the LCO and SCO.

The person inspecting each rocket before flight is the Safety Check Officer. It is their job to check the rocket for safe operation and other requirements like motor certification, wiaver complaince, etc.

I've seen too many launches where "SCOs" were there to just make sure all the stupid little boxes onthe flight card were filled in. They never bother to actually check the rocket for safety. This is a waste of time, and you're not doing your job. IMHO an "SCO" who never rejects anything isn't doing their job. But neither is an SCO that has a half mile long checklist, and procedes to inspect every item for every rocket.

The philosophy I use when I do SCO duty is that I am to ask each person

***THREE*** questions. The trick only learned through experience is WHICH three questions to ask of each person. One thing you should consider is what the most likely failure modes are, and be sure they are all addressed. You have to think like Murphy to do the job...

Bob Kaplow

It was a simple question, it's the answers that are complicated.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Which is why HPR certification is a good thing. Being certified shows that you have already demonstrated these abilities. Larger rockets, like those that contain electronics don't bother me. It the smaller rockets with G motors that worry me. You don't have to demonstrate that you can even wipe you're own ass and launch a 16 oz projectile 600 mph.

To charge him with that duty is to knowingly invite it to be

Agreed.

Reply to
Doc

I too was surprised to learn that. The test has simple questions like having to know CG/CP relationships. Shouldn't that be demonstrated before moving to HPR?

We (NEPRA) make sure RSO's are L2's. L3 is even better. To expand on this idea, LCO's must be 18.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

I have to admit that I get a little lazy when checking small mod rocks. A quick check of the fins, balance it on my finger while visualizing the CP and it's good to go. However, because we launch composite E and F motors from the mod rock racks, we set them at 50 feet. Yes, farther than required but it keeps them safe from lazy RSO's

I kind of do the same thing. It's like a quick interview. Ask some question. If they have quick and intelligent answers he's ok. If they ask you if the motor is OK for it just before they launch it, you have problems.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

(best Monty Python voice)

"answer me these questions 3, before the flightline you will see"

1."What is your name?"

  1. "What is your quest?"

  2. "What is the airspeed of an Alpha on an A8-3?"

question back.. "An original Alpha or the plastic one?" response back.. "I don't know! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Reply to
AZ Woody

I posted a reference in the "NFPA and rocketry" thread where the proposal for an ARSO (assistant Range Safety Officer) was rejected. From your description of a SCO, that sounds like a similar role.

Although NFPA ROP makes a reference to people who assist the RSO.

But I certainly agree with your point, that the RSO could use some help.

- iz

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Ever notice most of those things are skinny and pointy?

Sharp sticks. You'll put an eye out.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

"Doc" wrote in news:Fgvzb.2906$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I wonder how many HPR fliers went straight to HPR without going through MR or LMR first.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

At Lucerne about 15% or less.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'll have to use this next time I check in one of your rockets :-)

Bob Kaplow

Speaking of Alpha's what's up with them Wood?

Joel. phx

Joel Corwith

So your answer is YES, a person at an "organized" NAR launch can't be RSO for his own flight?

Pardon me for asking a stupid question on RMR (actually the original question). As you know I am not a HPR flyer, although have been to a few HPR launches. I have reread my "NAR Member Guidebook", but although it covers HPR, it says nothing on this question. What document do I need to refer to? NFPA 1127 does not seem to prohibit an L2 flyer from serving as RSO at an HPR launch.

What constitutes an "organized" NAR launch that makes it any different from any other HPR launch, triggering these additional rules in some reference document? Are NAR section HPR sport launches "sanctioned" with signed paperwork like NAR MR contests?

Now large events like the National Sport Launch should be well organized with addition special event rules. But what about small NAR section HPR launches? Let's say a small NAR section has a HPR launch on the first saturday of each month, and welcomes visitors. Let's say a guest shows up with his NAR card and L2 certification and wants to fly his L2 rocket, but nobody else present that day has L2 or higher certification. Is the guest SOL because it is a NAR section launch? Now I know that rocketeers fly or not at the whim of the person(s) responsible for the field and FAA waiver, but is the lone L2 guest prohibited from an L2 flight by some NAR rules that do not allow him to serve as RSO for his own flight, even if this is OK with the L1s running the club launch?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

They're moving, but slowly... see alpha40.azrockets.org

Reply to
AZ Woody