Beagle 2 status 3

Things aren't looking good for the ESA... That's too bad. I was really looking forward to the pics and data... I know how they feel, I've had days like that out at the field...

Spirit and Opportunity... Let's Roll!

ESA News

Beagle 2 status report ...

No signal from Beagle 2 was detected during this evening's pass by NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft.

Jodrell Bank will be listening for a signal until 01:00 CET [0000 UTC].

The next opportunity to listen with Mars Odyssey will take place at 07:15 CET [0615 UTC] tomorrow.

On 26 December, NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter will carry out another pass of the landing site at 19:14 CET [1814 UTC]. This will be followed up by another sweep by Jodrell Bank early on the morning of 27 December, between 00:20 and 01:00 CET [2320 UTC, 26 Dec. and 0000 UTC, 27 Dec.].

While initial attempts to detect a signal from the tiny spacecraft have failed, further efforts are scheduled whenever possible during the next few days.

More about ...

  • Europe goes to Mars
    * Mars Express overview
    * Christmas on Mars: be there with ESA
    * Getting it right: An interview with Rudi Schmidt
    * Testing times: An interview with Con McCarthy
    * A giant step for Europe: An interview with Michael McKay
    Related links

  • Beagle 2 lander homepage

Jet Red

To be entirely accurate, Beagle 2 was not really an ESA project. It is (was?) British and done on a shoestring budget. ESA cooperated in providing a ride to get it there, and in minimum integration. But it was a British job all the way.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

My guess its fallen down a crack. Or been abducted by aliens..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

CANCER MAN got it! ; )

No matter what happened I hope they try again.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Some important things to consider, re. the Beagle 2 lander contact issue.

So far, the only attempts to listen for signals from the lander have been with the big dish at Jodrell Bank, and via NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter.

Neither of these are the primary method of contact with the lander, and it's possible that (1) Jodrell Bank's receiver is simply missing the signal because it's too faint, and (2) the data link via Mars Odyssey isn't getting established properly. From what I've heard, this was not tested as thoroughly since it was considered a "fallback" comm link and not the primary.

The primary communications channel to the Beagle 2, is via the Mars Express orbiter which the Beagle 2 detached from, several days prior to landing. The M.E. orbiter entered Mars orbit successfully and is healthy. The first window of opportunity for the Beagle to establish communications through the M.E. orbiter will be on January 4.

So, there is still plenty of reason to remain hopeful.

Reply to
BB

What REALLY happened to Beagle 2???

Bill Fulmer

That and the fact that Odyssey was already on its way by the time that negotiations to use it as a communication relay for Beagle 2 were complete.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

yes I am still hopeful too...it may take a week or two to grab the signal if beagle is okay.... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

It probably landed in Mar's version of Roswell and is now locked up in Mar's Area 51. ;)

Either that, or the Beagle is chasing a Martian cat.

Reply to
RayDunakin

A Martian killed the Beagle when it started humping his leg.

Reply to
Tim

A rabbit is more likely. My beagles love to chase rabbits.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Yes, but can your beagles hum a tune by the Blur?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Most likely it's been shot down by weapons of mass destruction.

But still, if ESA provided the ride then the British didn't the job all the way, only the job once there. Well, should've.

There's many countries that contributed to the spacecraft itself, from tiny input such as on-board science experiments up to the ion drive.

Reply to
Locus

No, but you can get them howling and it sounds a lot better...

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Brett Buck ha scritto:

Thus I bet they kept using damn inches instead of metric system! Now we know why Beagle2 is lost :-)

Reply to
Jack Buffer

From what I heard, the Martians got hold of it, installed Genoah engine on it, and are doing torque rolls up and down the canals...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

actually, the Martian landscape beneath the cover of projected imagery is lush and indicative of a highly advanced civilization. But the area designed to make Mars look like inhospitable quicksand wasn't quite ready for prime time. When it's finished and they transport the Beagle there, they'll turn the camera and transmitter will be turned back on so we can get the last impressions of it sinking below the martian surface forever, and think twice before sending any actual people there.

- iz

Tim wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

That's about as accurate as some of the other made-up crap on rmr like from Triano, for example.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's a bug not a feature.