CYA. I'm done.

Well, I opened R.M.R for the last time. Tonight I watched as 2200 messages were downloaded and nearly all were flame wars and/or completely off topic. I enjoy hobbies to relieve stress, not to create stress. This nasty newsgroup was enough to make me cancel my TRA membership 2 years ago. After returning, it seems things have gotten even worse... so much so that I dont want to be a member of any rocketry organization. I had considered starting a local section but I honestly dont think I have the energy to deal with the politics. In fact, I'm unsubscribing from rmr tonight and going back to launching privately. I guess I expected more from people who call themselves "Rocket Scientists".

Take care, good luck.

Reply to
Vic20Owner

You fail to realize that most of this flaming resides solely on RMR & is common for most of the other NG out there. I've been on other forums & message boards & this is quite tame IN Some aspects.

I guess you don't vote either?

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

Hell yes.

this group is a quier (sp?) club compared to many NG's out their.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Reply to
John Letendre

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

This place offers little. The Yahoo groups are far superior as they are generally moderated or they have a basic set of standards for civility.

Do notice how things mellowed with Jerry gone for a day. He has his supporters but I find him to be the biggest single detriment to the moral of our hobby. He is not allowed on many forums because of this.

Reply to
Putting on the chill

You know, this newgroup offers some great help and creative ideas if you just ask. All you have to do is post the question and despite all the politics these people will get right down to the techniques and tips and help you out. Anyone who says this newsgroup is of little help can get out for good, for all I care. There IS a lot of politics, but when you get right down to it there is also a hell of a lot of great rocketeers here. Randy D Co-Prez, SoJARS

Reply to
NeoF14

The best ones don't contribute here.

Reply to
Golf nut

If they were so good, they WOULD contribute.

Phil Ste>On 27 Dec 2003 08:03:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (NeoF14) wrote: >

snip

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

It is truly amazing the excuses some people will throw out there so they can wash their hands of it in case it fails. Have some balls and fight for what you believe in.

Ignorance will be the death of our society.

Bill Eide

Reply to
Bill Eide

If you want to throw in the towel on RMR, that's your choice. Though there is entirely too much taunting & bickering on the level of retarded elementary school kids and failed attempts at humor, you can still ask a question & get knowledgable responses & helpful "been there/ done that" tips. I'd rather see more this & less online arguing between a few desperate charcters & more rocket stuff. I've even posted a few OT questions, being aware of the vast wealth of varied knowledge of this diverse group & was enlightened or entertained by the responses. -- Richard "give "The Rocketry Forum" a try, if you haven't given up on rocketry entirely" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

You take all of this, way TOO seriously. There's a lot of crap here from time to time but there's also no better place to learn about the hobby. RMR is pretty representative of the world community and the hobby, at least as far as hobby info goes and the politics that drive it. To think that real politics and the world market place don't affect us, is to bury your head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine. I hear and learn things here that never apprear on the evening news and most of it is pretty accurate.

I have to ask, why anyone would let some individual or discussion here, political, ot, or otherwise, ruin the hobby or even the newsgroup for them?

That's a real consideration, because there are always ploitics to deal with in any group. Try Little League, Scouts or PTA for that matter. It's just a part of life.

Good luck to you!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

There are few if any nationally known, respected rocketeers on this forum. Another rocketry forum that I visit is 100% rockets and it's people we know and respect. It only averages 800 messages or so a month but those messages are all about rocket building and flying.

RMR lacks credibility and it's leader has been voted off the island long ago.

Reply to
Golf nut

I don't know what island you are on but I've seen a number of people I know & respect here. When I first encountered them I may not have liked them much but, they grew on me. There may be some political posts where a person's credibilty or objectivity may be questioned but, that's part of life in general. Should I post my membership numbers, Cert Lvl 3, & my club position to get your respect? I don't think I will. I judge people by what they have to say not, that crap.

So, who are you're heros / leaders & what are your favorite fourms? You have become what you have stated a dislike for by making blanket statements of criticism toward this fourm.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thank you, sir - you said what I had in mind, but in a much more courteous fashion.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

We all have our moments. 8-)

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I agree with you. I have nothing to offer RMR and I am guilty as charged.

Reply to
Golf nut

I doubt that you don't have anything to offer. All you have to do is jump in with some on topic subject. What's the last thing you built? Did you have any problems with it? Did anything come out better than expected?

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Phil the problem is that there are too many rock throwers on RMR out there who can hide behind a false name. Myself included. No one likes their ideas attacked on a public forum and with RMR this is too easily done. The other forums I belong to attach a real name to the post. There are NO flame wars as we all speak to each other as we would at a launch.

Your intentions are noble however. But with the current leadership of RMR I'm simply not interested in participating in a rocket discussion that invariably turns into a Jerry Irvine soapbox.

Reply to
Golf nut

Usenet newsgroups have no leaders. They are what you make of them. Maybe you just need to learn how to drive your news reader.

Personally, I seldom kill-file particular posters, because you never know when they might contribute something useful. I do kill-file threads when the reach the zero-content event horizon, because they seldom, if ever become useful again.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn