WELL DONE U YANKS

May this be a start of many more good flights

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Thanks:

It would be nice to think so, but the hard fact is the Shuttle is 40 year old technology that was flawed by political interference in the beginning, and it is simply too complex to have a realistic reliability. A serious reliability study would lead to horrifying numbers. I wouldn't ride the thing for any amount of $$$. If America is serious about a space program, it is time to go back to the drawing board with a clean sheet of paper, and this time keep Congress' sticky fingers as far away from the program as possible. Read: "The selling of NASA", I forget the author's name at the moment (Hell, I'm 67! I've a right to forget a few details).

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yessss , it's just Great. I just got thru watching the landing. The Shuttle is so very very KewL , but I guess it can be a lot more dangerous than any of us could deal with on a daily basis. It all has to be sooooo very perfect or , well we all know what happens when it's not don't we. But when it all comes together it's a true thing of beauty to behold. Yes from Launch to Landing a Shuttle Flight is Just Beautiful. A Mars Landing is possible by 2015 if they really wanted to do that is. More people have to supoprt the Program. They must waist a lot more for all the Metric Tons of Reports that they Published for the U.S. Congress than they end up Spending for the Space Exploration. ..... !!

And to keep it on Topic: I am in need of a 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with the Center Tank and the Sold Rocket Boosters would anyone out here have one they could let go of for me , but i'm on a budget now for my most of my Modeling needs. So this would have to be pretty reasonable if it's okay to ask that here.

... Carl ..........

.

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

A brief look into what is really me
Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"

cyberborg 4000

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (cyberborg 4000) wrote in news:5973- snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3157.bay.webtv.net:

landing. The

more

It all has

happens when it's

thing of

Flight is Just

do that is.

lot more for

U.S. Congress

!!

Space Shuttle

anyone out here

now for my

reasonable

Master Builder

Rings &

thousands of

weatherbeaten

HIGHWAY---

Carl,

I recently decided I had to have all available versions of the Shuttle from 1/72 to 1/288. No I'm not on medication. Honestly the thing to do is luck on eBay and just wait. There are a lot of shuttles up there all the time (at least when I was prowling). I got all of the 1/144 birds cheap, most with tanks. The 1/72s took more patience but you'll find burst of bidding and then when those buyers are satisfied the next few will have no bidders at all. I got the Revell with tanks for I think under $25 with shipping. Pretty good as the last one I saw in a store was 40 or 45.

Put on your stalker cap and get to work. Also check out esnipe.com. I almost never bid directly anymore. I snipe everything and I find I'm spending a lot less.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I'd go tomorrow if they'd let me! NASA wouldn't have to pay me a dime either.

Agreed. Back to the Moon and on to Mars! It's *way* past time...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I think we're all in that mentality. We don't run 20-year-old city busses so there's no reason to base a critical space program on the equivalent of pre-Castro Chevvies in Cuba. Tiles flaking off and spummed-on insulation? Sounds like a Cub Scout project from the 80s...or the shower stall in my old house.

I'm glad these guys made it back. I had my doubts.

-Bill

Reply to
-ex-

Me too. If it weren't for the ISS I'd be all for permanently grounding the entire fleet. For that matter, I'm not all that enthused about the ISS...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

On the other hand we *do* fly combat aircraft that are 20 years old or even older - at least us Brits do. Little wonder that the RAF is known as "Fred Flintstone's Air Force"

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I'm a great fan of old technology but the 70s-80s weren't particularly impressive years of primo vintage when viewed from a 2005 perspective. I'd like to think they could do better now...and if they can't then thats a whole 'nuther can of worms. I'm sure they are thinking about it. If this whole brain trust were obliged to drive to work daily in old Pintos and Monte Carlos they'd probably quickly arrive at a concensus that mandates something beyond retreading the tyres and regluing tiles on the old bytch.

-Bill

Reply to
-ex-

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'd give my right arm to go... but, then, wouldn't I be disqualified?

The next step after the X-Prize. NASA agrees to pay for deliveries (personnel, food, water, DUCT TAPE) from anyone who gets it up there.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

should be kids force. how old is the 42, the 130 the tanker fleet and 90% of out front line fighters? way older than 20 years. and the 52 will fly until 2020!

80 yesrs.....damn.

In article , Al Superczynski wrote: old weird harold

start-stop-strat-stop.....could have had an eco friendly, cheap lifter in the 80's. coulda been on mars by 85, real space station before, ion drive outer tour could be there and we could be building a real starship. it's like the gov lost the moral fibre in the 70's and went gutless.

as always, heinlein had a good take. read the man who sold the moon. written in the 50's.

Not just you, though you may fly more of them. Prowlers are no spring chickens...and we just now got rid of those Tomcats. And F-15Cs are aging...and let's not forget C-130s and B-52s.

Funny...we had a guy from a NASA Safety review board compare Shuttle and C-130 tech to us a bit ago...

Reply to
Rufus

I'm betting BUFFs are still flying when the BONEs are done - probably after I'm done too. According to avg life expectancy, everything after 2036 is extra innings for me. ;-)

And then there's the DC-3... I wonder how the Goonies will look in their Starfleet colors.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

hmmm, them warp nacelles should bolt right in....

Dude! Do you know the average age of the B-52's still in service??? :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

European or African?

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Not if you were going just as a tourist. And on the plus side, you'd weigh less than the average astronaut. ;-p

I'd definitely like to see more commercial efforts. The competition might even do NASA some good as well...

Reply to
Al Superczynski