Notice how nice RMR was today without Jerry Irvine?

Has anyone noticed that RMR actually mellows out and gets back towards rockets once Jerry Irvine is out of the picture? All day today it was actually nice to read what others had to say about rockets rather than having to watch them respond to Jerry's trash.

Read into it what you will. Jerry Irvine brings RMR down a few notches.

Reply to
Putting on the chill

Actually, I seem to be able to engage Jerry in civil conversation. Even about rockets.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Others don't have/don't want that ability. Even as we speak RMR is doing well. The minute he checks back on watch the signal to noise ratio.

Just an observation.

Reply to
Putting on the chill

Kinda boring actually.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

If you don't go trashing the guy so much he wouldn't have quite as much to respond to. You're just adding fuel to the fire.

Randy D Co-Prez, SoJARS

Reply to
NeoF14

Yep, as long as you do not challenge his opinion or question his version of the facts, Jerry is quite civil..

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

sheep

Reply to
Golf nut

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

You can even challenge Jerry's opinions and his versions of the facts if you supply data to back your position.

The biggest problem, on both sides, is attacks on the person rather than the subject. This leads to wasted bandwidth in flame wars. I have two people in my KF. Both of them (CT and "Dave Grayvis") have much worse noise ratio than Jerry.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

as Kurt's proxy: Chickens!!!

Reply to
David
:

Even if the source of the information is given, Jerry has a tendency to attack the credibility of the information and the individual providing it. I attempted to help Jerry, at his request, several years ago. The data and information he provided to me was provided to the folks in DOT, as he requested; nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, the results were not what Jerry expected and he has included me on his list of individuals and organizations, "out to get Jerry". Your experience with Jerry may be as you say, however mine has been somewhat different.

I will agree with you, personal attacks on each other, detract from the subject being discussed and I am guilty of allowing myself to be drawn into such behavior much more than I should. As a result, I am making a new year resolution; "To the best of my ability, I will not refer to anyone on RMR as moron, dupe, putz, or other such terminology", regardless of how I may really think. My apology to those individuals I have offended in such manner.

Well, it's off to Sears to spend my gift certificates; pattern bits, a new fly cutter, and large hole cutters are first on the list..

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

David Weinshenker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Same here. However, since about 99% of his posts are crap, I killfiled him anyway. The signal/noise ratio improved significantly after that!

If your newsreader supports it, learn to use the killfile for both posters and threads... it can make your usenet (not just RMR) experience much more enjoyable.

Reply to
David W.

"W. E. Fred Wallace" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@olg.com:

Speaking of new year's resolutions, anybody else making any? I'm tired of failing to keep them year after year, so I decided to change tactics this time. So my resolutions this year are:

1) watch more TV 2) stop cleaning the bathrooms so often.

I think my chances of success this year are *much* higher :-)

Reply to
David W.

Hmmm.... I have been known to use the "mark thread as read" feature on a few rare and desperate occasions - I remember once I just zapped a whole anti-smoking thread.

Funny, I don't feel the need to do that to Jerry's posts.

Go figure.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I've got a 4" and 8" General that do very well. I got some cheap off brand unit that was a dud. IIRC Sears has the General...

Bob Kaplow

Many years ago I resolved to not make any more New Years resolutions. So far so good...

Bob Kaplow

You are suggesting something unlikely to occur.

Merry Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I consider someone offering to provide a guaranteed DOT investigation on arrival of something "out to get me" (what you did/will do) not the outcome of an interaction with an obvioulsy recalcitrant government organization.

Even though your involvement resulted in NO enlightnment, much less positive progress.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Post on rmr MORE often.

Hopefully I will keep this year's resolution as well as last year's :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine