Where? I'm in OK Falls.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Betta's Services

1306 Main Street Oroville WA 98844 509-476-2888 snipped-for-privacy@nvinenet.com
Reply to
John Ings

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I knew about Betta's, used them several times. I was wondering where you are. Gotta post this since I don't have an e-mail address for you.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

the ridiculous

USPS?

this chuck.

M12x1 (fits my Unimat One

I gave up and stick with Canadian suppliers whenever possible. In order of my liking:

even
once in a while (good books anyway)

Either that, or I beg the US store to ship USPS. At least Canada Post only charges $5... + tax. It's amazing what a pitiful email can accomplish with smaller companies :) The only other option is to buy sooo much that the brokerage fees are insignificant. If you do that - CLEARLY state: NO Backorders! You don't want to get burned by fees twice.

But yeah, it really sucks when you want one small part that looks really great, that only costs $15, and you can't get anywhere else... I stopped looking at the HF website a while back... it's just too depressing.

Maybe what we really need is a reverse E-Bay auction: "How much will you charge me to drive to HF, buy the damn thing, and ship it to me USPS?" :) Hmmm, you know, I bet that would work... Some enterprising person living next door to HF (and maybe close to a postal station :) might be able to set up a tidy little low-volume business. Receive an email, post an E-bay sale-type auction (to get all that Paypal protection stuff), and wait for the person to do the bid before going to the store and getting the product. For what HF would charge for sending by UPS, I expect someone could make a profit sending it by USPS, at least for the small stuff...

David...

Reply to
FixerDave

Nice list of vendors. I've used Princess Auto and Lee Valley a few times, but hadn't known about the others.

Biggest hole in your methodology is the HF stores don't have nearly the inventory as shown online or in the catalogs. Not even. On the other hand, prices in the stores are often LOWER because they don't have to provide "free shipping". Example is their Russian 110 pound cast steel anvil which is advertised for a sale price of $99US but which you can often get in their stores for $69US.

Another solution is to make friends in the US and trade favors!

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

2 hours south of BC

FixerDave wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It's a different answer than what you're asking for, but when I was in Canada I found that Busy Bee Tools sold just about everything that HF had. It was almost a "Harbor Freight North".

Some differences in policies and other details but the products (and the product defects!) were nearly identical.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Reply to
James P Crombie

Reply to
James P Crombie

Owner of Grizzly: Shiraz Balolia Owner of Busy Bee: Nargis Balolia

I believe they are ethnic Indians who emigrated from Africa (Kenya). The situation of ethnic Indians in Africa is roughly comparable to that of Jews in early 20th century Europe or Chinese in SE Asia in the last half century.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

in Canada and

customs or

< much snipped>

Wow, thanks... both look really good: there goes my next paycheque :)

You know, I spent hours one night searching the web for Canadian tool suppliers. I came up with Princess Auto... (I already knew about BusyBee and KMS) Neither of the above two came up... and they're what I was looking for.

Tomorrow, I'm booked into an advanced Internet search course put on by the librarians at the college where I work. I guess I need it.

David...

Reply to
FixerDave

An aquaintance of mine is an ethnic Indian, born and raised in Uganda, until Big DaDa went nutzoid. The family emmigrated to the US in

1972..suddenly and in the dark of night, leaving everything except what they could put in suitcases, behind.

An interview with another Indian whom escaped Uganda

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the "lions". Christopher Morton

Reply to
Gunner