Brass allthread redux

Went all over today, and couldn't find any. Did find quarter twenty joiners about an inch long. Hex in shape. Definitely steel Will use them this trip to join the two short pieces together, and by next year, I'm sure they'll be a blob. Maybe by then, I'll have something else figured out. I DID find brass rod (not welding rod) in the metal section of Ace. Think I'll go with my idea of cutting off some short threaded sections and welding them on to the end of a solid brass rod for next year. Will be interesting to see how hard they corrode on there. The other ones (combo aluminum body with steel nuts) have been easy to get off. The brass threads are not corroded much, and can be cleaned by just chasing with a nut run down from the other end.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So get a good 1/4-20 die and thread the ends of your 1/4 brass rod.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim sez: "So get a good 1/4-20 die and thread the ends of your 1/4 brass rod."

Good idea, but first turn down the area to be threaded according to the formula: [ diameter - (1.299 x 0.75 / 20) ] where diameter = 0.25 and 0.75 = 75% thread

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

McMaster Carr has 1/4-20 Brass Threaded Rods, from 1/2" to 6' long.

The 24" pieces you're looking for is: Part # 98812A029 $6.75 each

Go to

and search for the above part number.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki

Brass all-thread is a common item, keep looking.

Paint, depending on circumstances, can do a lot to prevent corrosion.

Reply to
_