Which rod to use?

Hi,

I'm looking to finish a project of mine, a 20 ton Shop press, bottle jack H-frame variety. I need to weld the upper cross braces to the upright beams. I've angle (45 deg.) the pieces where they will be welded together.

I have a HarbourFreight 140 stick welder, the docs say it can do 140A but the welder is only marked at 110A, go figure.

I cranked it up as much as I could and ran some practice beads of 7018

3/32, it produced a nice looking weld, at least for my abilities.

I'm looking for answers on which rod should I be using for this application. Currently, I have 6011-3/32, and the 7018-3/32.

Should I be more concerned with the penetration depth or the strength of the weld, 60 or 70 psi(?) rating of the rods. I've read that the 6011 is a deeper penetrating rod then the 7018, but the 7018 is a stronger weld.

Any comments, suggestions?

Reply to
SomeBody

This question has too many variables for me.

20 ton = 40,000#, well within the 60-70k tensile strengths of common rods.

But the tensile strength has to take into account:

fitup is this a butt weld or a t weld ability of the operator to weld without a lot of slag inclusions or porosity direction of pressure in relation to finished weld amperage of welder that determines degree of penetration skill of operator in forming molten puddle and keeping it going in the right way other things

If it were me, I would do it with 7018 at a high amperage. Not really high, but higher than the average newbie could run it. 7018 is a unique rod, and it takes some time to master to get to the point you can confidently weld with it. So, I don't know if a newbie could do it. If you want to try, attempt to have all your welding done in the flat position by moving the weldment. Carry a good size puddle, and keep the rod end in it so you don't get porosity. Slow movement. Do good root prep, forming vees. Practice on some junk first, because you only get one shot at the real deal.

Your answer is yes, no, definitely, and maybe. Weld it up and see if it holds.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Normal choice would be 7018. Your rod is pretty small so I expect you will have to do multiple passes. Chip and clean with a wire brush or grinder to keep things clean and slag free. The type of connection and amount of weld are of greater concern. If you actually cut the ends of the wide flange beams at a 45 degree mitre cut you have chosen a difficult method. Grind a bevel on the mating flanges to form a vee so that you can increase penetration. Grind the webs ( center section) so that the ends are square and will form a open corner joint. If you have concerns you can weld in some small triangular plates in the inside corners. Randy

I'm looking to finish a project of mine, a 20 ton Shop press, bottle jack H-frame variety. I need to weld the upper cross braces to the upright beams. I've angle (45 deg.) the pieces where they will be welded together.

I have a HarbourFreight 140 stick welder, the docs say it can do 140A but the welder is only marked at 110A, go figure.

I cranked it up as much as I could and ran some practice beads of 7018

3/32, it produced a nice looking weld, at least for my abilities.

I'm looking for answers on which rod should I be using for this application. Currently, I have 6011-3/32, and the 7018-3/32.

Should I be more concerned with the penetration depth or the strength of the weld, 60 or 70 psi(?) rating of the rods. I've read that the 6011 is a deeper penetrating rod then the 7018, but the 7018 is a stronger weld.

Any comments, suggestions?

-- A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD XP2500+ (Un-locked)

2x256mb Crucial PC3200 DDR ram Palit-Daytona Ti4200/64M AGP
Reply to
R. Zimmerman

The 7018 is slightly stronger (70kpsi minimum) than the 6011 (60kpsi minimum). But for your application, use the rod the gives you the best looking beads. I say that because the weld strength is really not a huge issue compared to the various weld flaws like undercuts, voids, slag inclusions, etc. If you can get 7018 to run on that welder, use it.

Your welder has a fairly low duty cycle at full power, you can fry the w> Hi,

Reply to
RoyJ