Lincoln Electric 6013 Rod

I'm using a stick welder, with 6011 and 6013 rod. I've been doing fine with my Hobart 1/8 and 3/32 6013, but the 1/16 6013 is from Lincoln Electric and it _stinks_ -- it makes really pretty looking slag in very nicely welded patterns, but when I beat the slag off the two beads don't actually connect.

Is this a problem with Lincoln rod, or is it a problem with trying to stick weld with 1/16? I keep asking Santa for a MIG welder but all I get are ties.

-------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services

begin 666 Tim Wescott.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..E=E

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I would have to say its the "weldor". I use 1/16" electrodes from time to time, and IMHO using such a small diam rod is much harder to do than burning a 3/32 or 1/8 inch rod. I have to burn a few 1/16 rods first to get it set right and get back in the swing of things especially if I have not used them in awhile. 6013 is 6013 no matter how you look at it. I assume your rods are clean and rustfree etc.

HOlding the proper arc, the right angle and feed is more critical IMHO with a small diam rod than larger sizes. Evidently your either not hot enough or your moving it too fast or holding it too far away. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I have never had a need for 1/16 electrode of any kind. I do have some

3/32 6013 which works well, especially at the low end of the current range. Angle and weaving the electrode can help control burnthrough, as well as dragging instead of pushing.
Reply to
Tom Kendrick

I can believe it's my problem, it just seems that the jump between the 3/32 rod and the 1/16 is more than one of degree -- since the brand is different as well as the size it made me think.

I can use the 1/16, and got the job done with the Worlds Ugliest Welds -- thank god it's nothing life critical! I was just wondering if I could do better next time with a different brand of rod.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I have the same problem with their Fleetweld 37 6013 rod. Both

3/32 and 1/8 sizes. The flat butt joint comes out fine but a good fillet weld is tough to get. I've come to the conclusion that the rod has too much flux and have switched to either 6011 or 7014.

Nate

--

Nate Weber

I have the same problem with the 6013... always seem to end up with a channel of flux thru the center of the weld. I like the welds from 6011... the drawbacks are lots of smoke and 6011 seems to have a much deeper weld than 6013(only bad if joining thin materials).

Reply to
Gears

OK, I'll top-post this time.

This is exactly the problem that I'm talking about. I have no problem with my Hobart 6013, but I can't get the Lincoln to work.

I think I'll see if I can get some 1/16 Hobart and see if it works.

Reply to
Tim Wescott