Surface grinder questions

I have an Arter rotary surface grinder. (as previously bragged about) Now I wish to use it correctly! The Arter has a rotary magnetic table that rotates parallel to the floor and can tilt 15 or so degrees. The wheel is

16" x 1" and rotates perpendicular to the floor. The spindle moves back and forth from the edge of the table to the center.

I am wondering:

  1. Does the spindle need to run for a while to come up to temp?
  2. Do I run the wheel all the way off the work on every stroke?
  3. On the first thing I ground, M-2 5" x 1" x 3/4", has a pattern of slight color in a radial array. The feed was 2 tenths per stroke and three or four passes with no feed. Just a guess. What do you think is protocol for spark-out or finishing?
  4. The wheel I hung is a 60-H, 'cuz that one was there. Any recommendations for wheels for M-2 and D-2?
  5. I'm flooding coolant through a 1" pipe in huge qty. Is there a recommendation for coolant flow?

True to form, I did a stupid! I mounted a three conductor twist-lock outlet and plug for the 3ph coolant pump. It had a 110v plug with in-line prongs, obviously a kludge from the previous owner, One of the engineers told me that my replacement plug/receptacle was a 110v heavy-duty. I of course ignored him saying that we don't use that config. anywhere else and it would work fine and probably never be disconnected anyway. Well, it seems that that receptacle has an internal grounding strap to the mounting bracket and put a 240v potential on the whole machine. My next job: Conductor! (I'm still learning, hope I survive)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It's always a good idea to let the spindle warm up on a grinder "if" you want to hold size to tenth's of a thousand.

Yes, because this is were you would feed down for the next pass. You wouldn't want to feed down while still grinding on the piece.

A couple of passes without feed and see if you still have sparks.(turn coolant off to check)

Can't help here

Enough coolant to keep the grinding wheel from leaving burn marks on the piece being ground and not so much that it drowns you while grinding.

Hope this helped.

Bernd

Not on a train I hope?

Reply to
Bernd

Are you sure it's a three phase pump? Also, if the machine was grounded properly you would have had a direct short to ground when you energized the coolant pump.

Reply to
ATP

The pump runs fine, it's truly 3 ph., the tag says so. I even got rotation correct first time! The grinder is on 4x6 timbers that insulate it from ground. (except through humans touching something else) I noticed a nice tingle! I did correct the electrical and installed a ground wire. I always isolate a new machine in order to find loops, floats, shorts and opens before permanently grounding the machine. For me it's SOP and, I needed to see it spin!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It's always good to warm up a machine. However, your machine will only benefit marginally.

No. Usually, you only go half the wheel for both inside and outside. And if your grinding up to a shoulder, do your infeeding (upfeeding?) while against the shoulder.

Difficult to say. Changes with every part and material.

How much money you got? Borazon would be best. Then Silicon Carbide. Then Al. (M-2 and D-2 are two of the most difficult metals to grind)

More is better.

Reply to
Labrat