Hippie welding rod?

I met two interesting guys yesterday, one was a pipefitter and another was an ironworker, welding frames of tall buildings. He built the Sears Tower.

So we talked about fishing, then about welding a little bit I said that I sometimes use 6013 rod, and the pipefitter asked if it was that "hippie welding rod". The ironworker guy said no, but I would like to know what is meant by "hippie welding rod".

Ignoramus31846

The welders say it as "hippie", which is the nick-name for "HYP". This is the Lincoln brand name ("Lincoln Shield-Arc HYP"). The HYP stands for for High Yield Pipe. This was one of their first stick electrodes for pipeline welding of higher strength pipe (X52 and X60 grades). It is classified as E7010-G (and is now also classified as E7010-P). It is still made by Lincoln (now known as HYP+). It is used primarily for downhill welding (which allows higher construction speeds for field welding of pipelines).

Reply to
tdoodyNS

Hippy is a particularly obnoxious rod to run. Lincoln claims the new version is better. It's not used often these days, it was state of the art in the

70's.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Apparently a derogatory reference. E6013 is an A.C. equivalent of E 6012. It is all position, low penetration (then E6011 or E6010) and works well on badly fitted joints. In other words a good rod to use with a cheap "Buzzbox" welder by people with low welding skills.

Anon ( snipped-for-privacy@inet.co.th) _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

to open account

Reply to
anon

It's not a derogatory reference. Like tdoodyNS said, it refers to the HYP designation on the can.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Lincoln have this to say about 6012, which is a sodium-in-binder rutile (6013 is potassium-in-binder rutile)...

Fleetweld 7 E6012 AC, DC- "Got a variety of jobs that a single all-position electrode has to handle? Choose Lincoln Electric's Fleetweld 7. This versatile, high-speed electrode is a real workhorse on sheet metal lap and fillet welds. It's also a great choice for welding poor fit-up welding jobs."

I was once talking with Lincoln UK once about (exasperating!) college welding practice with stick welding electrodes and getting fillet corner fusion. Lincoln mentioned 6012's, which apparently are fiercer and more penetrative than the very gentle 6013's. And if I remember rightly they said "do really want AC". I've never used one so can't comment any further.

Richard S.

"JTMcC" writes:

Reply to
Richard Smith

replying to Ignoramus31846, WynterMoon wrote: My grandfather is the one who named the hippie rod

Reply to
WynterMoon