Odd Praxxair conversation

--Went to Praxxair yesterday to stock up on welding rod. I'd just snagged a few pounds of rod for mild steel and asked the guy what he recommended to tig chromoly. His answer was 'you can't do that; you can't weld chromoly'. Say whaaaaat? So how do people make roll cages? How do people make tube chassis? I mentioned that in the latest issue of AWS Journal there was an article about welding chromoly and he said bring it and then he'd believe it. I'm beginning to think I should switch to a different supplier: this guy (new owner I think) doesn't look like he's welded anything in a really long time (too clean, if ya get my drift).

Reply to
steamer

If it was me he was talking to I'd be wondering if he'd seen the quality of my welds, and meant me specifically.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

He probably has a copy of the Finch book or a similar text on the shelves...Just open it up and show him.

Finch recommends using either mild steel or 4130 rod, Welco W1200.

Do not use copper coated rod, use bare rod only.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

--Good to know; thanks!

Reply to
steamer

I hear you. My manager designs and manufactures custom motorcycles and the like. He is better than most - been in the field and now manager with his own company.

What I did was go to Praxxair web site and download their manuals. That helps. I know a little more before I go > --Went to Praxxair yesterday to stock up on welding rod. I'd just

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn