oxy/acetylene welding...rod?

I just bought my first torch outfit today (Victor Super Ranger II) and asked for some welding rod. The guy picked up fluxed brazing rod. I
then asked for mild steel rod. He only had some 1/16" rod. I then dipped into a box of 3/32" rod and said, 'this is what i want'.
Well, he says, 'that is TIG rod'. I said, 'yeah? It's mild steel right?' He didn't seem to know.
Isn't "TIG" rod just copper coated mild steel rod? I should be able to use it when Oxy/Acetylene welding, right?
rvb
Yes, copper clad mild steel rod is what I use for O/A. There should be a number stamped on the rods. Certain rods are used for different purposes. Find a new welding supply vendor...fast! -Mike
mclorson wrote:

You know...I think I agree with you. As a matter of fact, I think I'll take the damn torch outfit back tomorrow and buy it on-line for about $25 cheaper with free shipping.
Now to find another welding supplier that isn't an asshole.
<venting mode on> Even getting gas is going to be frustrating. I called a place today that my bro-in-law said was good. I ask him a few questions and get stupid-ass answers.
I asked if he leases tanks, rents tanks, or sells tanks. He says, "Do you have tanks?" I said, "No, that's why I'm calling; to find out my options." So he says (in a wise-ass tone), "well, you'll have to buy 'em then." What an asshole!
Now I don't care if I have to drive all the way to Hell to get gas. He ain't getting my hard-earned money. </venting mode off>
rvb
One issue is this :
TIG filler is pure - and expensive. Gas and stick welding isn't as touchy.
Your dealer was trying to save you some big money. It is fine for a small job and special arrangements for flux.
I don't think he was a twit - maybe not informative or pushy telling you NO not that.
Martin
Rick Barter wrote:

--
Martin Eastburn

Rick,
I use Welders Supply of Louisville and get great service and support from them. FWIW I would recommend them.
Shawn
Shawn wrote:

Thanks, Shawn. I'll check them out.
rvb
Rick Barter wrote:

TIG rod has silicon in the copper coating; not necessarily the "best" for OA
"Rick Barter" (clip) I should be able to use it when Oxy/Acetylene welding, right? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you are doing non-critical work, and need a rod in a pinch, coat-hangers are good.
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:24:06 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

so is bailing wire.
Gunner
Rick Barter wrote:

Filler rod you say ?
That is likely what you saw or got. The filler rod can be any alloy of steel and the non-stainless are copper coated. (unless Al or other...)
I suppose you are running a gas rig - so filler is filler. Just how to protect it in fluxing - is up to you - likely by hand.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
TIG filler in Gas welding: You may find that it sticks in the puddle because it melts at a higher temp. Could be frustrating, that. RG45 is the common welding wire. Get some.

A couple of years ago in a welding class I was trying to make some simple mild steel welds, using the only rod available in class, which I think was ER-70 (who knows, S6 maybe, wasn't labled) The rod was sticking, I was making holes, generally struggling. The instructor stopped by. Great guy, been welding for years, just not gas welding. He was doing worse than I was (he hadn't been struggling for an hour either, I'm sure he would have passed me in a few minutes).
The next class I came in with a few lengths of RG45. What a world of difference. Same torch, same joints in the same material. Felt like laying down caulking in comparison.
I guess the moral of the story is that TIG wire may be good practice, and it is usable in a pinch, but if you want to gas weld, RG45 and RG60 are probably much better choices than any of the ER-type rods.
Kevin Meier
Rick Barter wrote:

Follow up...
Thanks to everyone that replied. I guess I got a little hot over nothing. I did some research about what other folks on this list said and it appears the welding supply guy was helping me to save some money. He just didn't explain 'why' and I thought it was because either he thought I was a loser or because he was a loser.
My apologies for dragging him through the mud. I'm going to go back and talk to him about tanks (the first guy I called was a jerk) and see if I can't build up a good relationship with him.
Thanks again to everyone and I'll be back after I fire up the torch and start putting all this theory to practice.
rvb