AC frequency settings

Hi all,

I've got a welder (Thermal Arc 185) that features an adjustable AC high frequency control. It'll change the AC frequency from 15Hz to about 150Hz IIRC. I've looked in TA book as well as others and can not find anything which talks about what this adjustment does on a practical level, nor can I find anything that gives suggested settings.

What effect should I see when changing the AC frequency? Are there any rules of thumb about how to use it? Should I be changing frequency to address any problems? I'm new to welding aluminum and any changes that may be happening are difficult for me to discern. I just started a welding class, and the instructor there couldn't give me an answer off the top of his head.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I have zero experience using one however I have seen it demonstrated. You should be able to change the "shape" of the arc envelope. Low frequency should give you a narrow penetrating shape and higher frequency will spread out which is great for shaping the cover pass. The reason given to me was that with this feature you can get right to the bottom of a veed out crack. Try it and report back. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Again, zero experience, however I can quote from the Miller Dynasty-200 manual:

"AC frequency controls bead width and directional control. As AC frequency decreases, weld bead/puddle gets wider. As AC frequency increases, weld bead/puddle becomes narrower and the arc becomes more focused. Travel speed can increase as AC frequency increases."

Also, I don't remember where I saw it, but it seems that when using AC frequencies above 60Hz, a pointed tungsten can be used, but you need a small flat at the end. If you try highter frequencies with a typical balled-end tungsten, you may not see the tighter more focused arc.

Kev> I have zero experience using one however I have seen it demonstrated. You

Reply to
kbm

Thank you guys. Although I've just run beads on some flat aluminum, it does appear that the difference is reflected in the arc size and focus.

Reply to
Peter Grey