American Welding Society

There have been a number of threads recently, asking about welding courses and certifications. I just went to the American Welding Society's web site to investigate their certification program and I am forced to question their credibility when they call it the "Certified Welder Program." Shouldn't that be "Certified WeldOr Program?"

Maybe they only certify welding *equipment* there... :-)

Artemia Salina

From Webster.com

Main Entry: weld=B7er Pronunciation: 'wel-d&r Function: noun : one that welds : as a or wel=B7dor : one whose work is welding b : a=20 machine used in welding

Common usage accepts welder as the person that welds or as a machine=20 used in welding.

Reply to
Rick Barter

No, according to AWS A3.0:2001 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions, which is a American National Standard, the definition of welder is "one who performs manual or semiautomatic welding."

Reply to
footy

Weldor is an "internet expert" term. You'll not find it in use in any of the crafts, or any of the codes.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Some Lincoln texts mention the difference in spelling. I expect the "weldor" spelling has English roots. Any comments from across the water?. Better yet why don't you join up :'))) You get a magazine and if your chapter is active locally you will meet some good contacts. This is a completely biased plug! There is also a student rate for people taking welding courses in college. Not every member of the AWS is a professional engineer. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I'm a union ironworker, all my certifications came from CWIs who were certified by AWS. every CWI ive encountered on a job is AWS certified. all CWIs ive met, even those at NASA, are all certified by AWS. I doubt anyone could obtain a professional grade welding job without AWS certs.

Reply to
mkm

What about all that piping and pressure vessels that's welded to ASME and API codes? It's a big and broad welding world out there.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC
[Middle English welde.]

Mart> Some Lincoln texts mention the difference in spelling. I expect the

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Reply to
Potblak

Seems kind of self-referential, doesn't it?

Oh wait, I get it. This is one of those "Left-handed shy hook" pranks that old hands play on apprentices, right?

Very funny.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

No. Are you stupid or something?

Reply to
footy

An AWS CWI can certify welders and work to ASME and API codes as well as AWS codes. When you test for CWI with AWS you pick from a list of codes to test on, including the ASME Section IX and API 1104. Once certified you are good for the others.

Reply to
footy

You don't have to be a CWI to qualify welders so your point is moot.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

What I replied to, if I understood it properly was about certification, not qualification. There is a difference. You certainly don't need to be a CWI or anything else special to qualify a welder. Employers do it all the time, even if employees or applicants are already certified. An employer can choose to accept certification in lieu of qualifying a welder if he wants, but is not required to.

Reply to
footy

Lurker floating to the surface....

According to Fowler's Modern English Usage ~or tends to be used with nouns derived from Latin roots, but notes in different sections that ~er and ~or can be used with equivalent meaning in some cases, and words to the effect that welder could refer to the equipment and weldor to the man (using the example of conveyer and conveyor).

In other words The language is what you make it :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

No. Are you completely and utterly lacking in a sense of humor?

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Oh, by the way, has the AWS changed the spelling of the terms they use recently?

"The American Welding Society uses the different spellings to denote welding machines(welder) and persons capbable of performing a welding operation(weldors)."

I don't know who Mr. Bengtsson is, or how knowledgeable he is, but his assertion does seem to demonstrate some confusion as to which spelling the AWS uses for which term. No one corrected him in that thread; not even you.

All of the texts that I recall reading have used the term "weldor" to refer to the person and "welder" refer to the machines they use to weld with. In fact I had seen that term used so often that I made it a point to remember not to confuse the two when writing about welding.

So I repeat, are you pulling my leg? If so, stop.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Qualification is the proper term, but for your sake, one doesn't have to be a CWI to certify welders. Or qualify.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

What code, and what section of the code do you find that in? I'm willing to bet that the word "certified" isn't even used in the AWS D1.1 or the API

1104 and maybe the ASME sec IX codes. All speak quite a bit on "welder qualification" tho. I've got all three, so if you give me a reference, I'll gladly take a look at it.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Hey- Thanks for starting this thread, even though it was a bash on a simple wordplay I poked around the site, saw a lot of very useful groups and discounts I can put to use. I joined.... If I can better my skills by proxy as I have no mentor at least I'll have an influx of media and people to refer to. Not bad I got a great deal on the AWS book as well. Just in DHL shipping alone I'll recoup my $128.00 in a few weeks. If someone's intent was to be a smartass it backfired and just made AWS a new member who openly admits he is glad there is a society that will dedicate itself to making me a better craftsman. What more could be asked?

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Sent From: ||Mobile data link- "TAD 3570 Top Alcohol Dragster", Robert Fraser Racing Enterprises, FCE LTD. Chicago, IL.|| Please send E-mail in lieu of calls to the shop or call on the satellite phone, we are on the road this week winning||

Reply to
RDF