American Welding Society

There have been a number of threads recently, asking about welding courses and certifications. I just went to the American Welding Society's
web site to investigate their certification program and I am forced to question their credibility when they call it the "Certified Welder Program." Shouldn't that be "Certified WeldOr Program?"
Maybe they only certify welding *equipment* there... :-)
http://www.aws.org/certification/CW /
Add pictures here
βœ–
Artemia Salina wrote:

From Webster.com
Main Entry: weld·er Pronunciation: 'wel-d&r Function: noun : one that welds : as a or wel·dor : one whose work is welding b : a machine used in welding
Common usage accepts welder as the person that welds or as a machine used in welding.
Add pictures here
βœ–
No, according to AWS A3.0:2001 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions, which is a American National Standard, the definition of welder is "one who performs manual or semiautomatic welding."
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:21:54 -0700, footy wrote:

Seems kind of self-referential, doesn't it?
Oh wait, I get it. This is one of those "Left-handed shy hook" pranks that old hands play on apprentices, right?
Very funny.
Add pictures here
βœ–
No. Are you stupid or something?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:30:31 -0700, footy wrote:

No. Are you completely and utterly lacking in a sense of humor?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Some days, unfortunately... If I mistook you intention, I appologize.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:32:08 -0700, footy wrote:

No sweat. Been there, done that myself.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:30:31 -0700, footy wrote:

Oh, by the way, has the AWS changed the spelling of the terms they use recently?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/msg/78fbf91292ffc930?dmode=source&hl=en
"The American Welding Society uses the different spellings to denote welding machines(welder) and persons capbable of performing a welding operation(weldors)."
I don't know who Mr. Bengtsson is, or how knowledgeable he is, but his assertion does seem to demonstrate some confusion as to which spelling the AWS uses for which term. No one corrected him in that thread; not even you.
All of the texts that I recall reading have used the term "weldor" to refer to the person and "welder" refer to the machines they use to weld with. In fact I had seen that term used so often that I made it a point to remember not to confuse the two when writing about welding.
So I repeat, are you pulling my leg? If so, stop.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I am not pulling you leg.
Weldor is considered a non-standard term. AWS does not even permit its use in articles submitted for publication in the Welding Journal. Authors are required to adhere to the terminology in A3.0. Likewise, the standard term for the machine is welding machine, not welder. Your source is, at best, out of date.
FWIW I have also read books and articles where the term weldor was used. It seems to be archaic now.
Add pictures here
βœ–
footy wrote:

I think Lincoln started it, at least the earliest use I've seen of it was in a Lincoln book and they seemed determined to use it.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
Weldor is an "internet expert" term. You'll not find it in use in any of the crafts, or any of the codes.
JTMcC.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Some Lincoln texts mention the difference in spelling. I expect the "weldor" spelling has English roots. Any comments from across the water?. Better yet why don't you join up :'))) You get a magazine and if your chapter is active locally you will meet some good contacts. This is a completely biased plug! There is also a student rate for people taking welding courses in college. Not every member of the AWS is a professional engineer. Randy

Add pictures here
βœ–
[Middle English welde.]
Martin
Randy Zimmerman wrote:

--
Martin Eastburn
βœ–

Add pictures here
βœ–

Lurker floating to the surface....
According to Fowler's Modern English Usage ~or tends to be used with nouns derived from Latin roots, but notes in different sections that ~er and ~or can be used with equivalent meaning in some cases, and words to the effect that welder could refer to the equipment and weldor to the man (using the example of conveyer and conveyor).
In other words The language is what you make it :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:08:33 -0400, Artemia Salina wrote:

I'm a union ironworker, all my certifications came from CWIs who were certified by AWS. every CWI ive encountered on a job is AWS certified. all CWIs ive met, even those at NASA, are all certified by AWS. I doubt anyone could obtain a professional grade welding job without AWS certs.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What about all that piping and pressure vessels that's welded to ASME and API codes? It's a big and broad welding world out there.
JTMcC.
Add pictures here
βœ–
An AWS CWI can certify welders and work to ASME and API codes as well as AWS codes. When you test for CWI with AWS you pick from a list of codes to test on, including the ASME Section IX and API 1104. Once certified you are good for the others.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You don't have to be a CWI to qualify welders so your point is moot.
JTMcC.
Add pictures here
βœ–