Welding Cert. Recognition Question

Greetings all,

Anyone here know what type of certifications Canada will recognize? We are "certified" at work, but I don't have the paper work here to see if it is an AWS cert. IF it is, will CWS recognize it?

No offense, but I am not really looking forward to visiting the Great White North in mid December, heard from an acquaintance in Edmonton that the high now is about 32F, expected to be in the single digits by mid Dec. BBBRRRRRR!!!

Anyway, Thanks for any help, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

That is my question Thanks, and it's CWB huh? I kept calling it CWS. :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

I am sure that in your code there is a clause that allows a supervisor to rule on the qualification of a welder until it is convenient for him to do an official test. We have something like that up here. No matter what your ticket says it is up to the company welding supervisor to make the call. In most cases they look at a few of your beads and either hire you or send you on your way. The standard plate tests are almost identical. The allowable amount of flaws is slightly less and we are starting to ask for more than one stop start in the joint. As for temperature. Consider yourself lucky if you are seeing "single digits" on the old Fahrenheit scale. It's a dry cold. Also the extra money you make has an "insulation" factor. Randy

Greetings all,

Anyone here know what type of certifications Canada will recognize? We are "certified" at work, but I don't have the paper work here to see if it is an AWS cert. IF it is, will CWS recognize it?

No offense, but I am not really looking forward to visiting the Great White North in mid December, heard from an acquaintance in Edmonton that the high now is about 32F, expected to be in the single digits by mid Dec. BBBRRRRRR!!!

Anyway, Thanks for any help, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

(snip)

Well Edmonton weather is currently -7C with a wind chill of -13C and snow is forcasted for the next week or so, so there should be plenty of snow by December! This time of year shouldn't be too bad as it is getting colder and the driving will be easier. I drove through Edmonton in late march with blowing snow and freezing rain on the highways and THAT! was an adventure, cars in the ditch for miles. Not sure where you are coming from but if you have good winter tires (ones marked M+S on the sidewall) and you drive carefully you should have no problems. Most Flatlanders drive to damn fast for road conditions anyway! Dont forget to bring some warm clothing as it is really flat up there so the wind blows almost all the time and the wind chill can get quite cold.

I do believe that CWB will honour most AWS qualifications but as Randy Z. wrote it is up to the welding foreman on site. If you can lay in a half-assed good weld you should have no problem. Besides if it is pressure pipe you are welding on, then that falls under the Boiler and pressure vessel branch and if I remember correctly they follow AWS guidelines anyway. A CWB weld test is strictly on flat plate. (some canadian pressure welders feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but that is the way I understood it when I was training for my British Columbia "B" welder qualification.

Reply to
studentPPSEL

AWS does not supply any specs for Pressure vessel or pressure piping welds.

They are covered under the ASME specs.

AWS will sell you the ASME books from their online bookstore.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Greetings all,

I finally got a look at our cert. papers, it is an AWS D1.1, should make us CWB approved, but that is for TPTB to decide.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts