American Welding Society

Good for you! Try to attend a few local chapter meetings. I have been going on and off to my local meetings before it was even AWS over twenty years ago when the group was affiliated with the Canadian Welding Institute ( long gone). There are a lot of good presentations and discussions. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Wow...

You guys take this shit pretty seriously, don't you? I don't think I've ever seen people get so upset over so little before. But then, I suppose some people relish getting upset, for whatever reason.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Now don't you think it would only be fair to quote me entirely, not to change the spirit of the way my message was written vs. how you cut it up to change the tone? Yes, I do take this serious and a majority of the Journeymen on here are not only acting as teachers an giving us knowledge transfer via this medium. This is a serious topic, there is a lot of danger that goes along with it and that as well as best practices and "how-to's" we get are beyond price. This is not a static practice, it evolves daily and without this group a lot of people (Including myself) would have made very costly if not dangerous or fatal mistakes. One thing I have noticed about this group and I'm to blame too, Where is all the welding talk- I see a lot of off topic and side line stuff? If you had the passion we all share for welding and metalwork maybe your question would answer itself.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

For my sake, oh come on how...

Reply to
footy

I don't think I ever said AWS D1.1 speaks of certification. It speaks of welder performance qualification. And like I said previously, an employer can do their own qualification or accept certification, for instance, by a CWI or AWS Accredited Testing Facility in lieu of doing their own testing. As far as the code is concerned the manufacturer or contractor is responsible for qualification of welds. Certification is simply documentation of qualification to a particular standard.

ASME Section IX speaks of welding performance qualification. Again, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer or contractor.

Don't have a copy of API 1104 handy.

And yes, there are others who can certify welders besides CWIs. I never said otherwise.

Reply to
footy

Some days, unfortunately... If I mistook you intention, I appologize.

Reply to
footy

I am not pulling you leg.

Weldor is considered a non-standard term. AWS does not even permit its use in articles submitted for publication in the Welding Journal. Authors are required to adhere to the terminology in A3.0. Likewise, the standard term for the machine is welding machine, not welder. Your source is, at best, out of date.

FWIW I have also read books and articles where the term weldor was used. It seems to be archaic now.

Reply to
footy

Welcome to the AWS. Don't forget to check out you local chapter. Most of them have interesting speakers, demos, etc. at their montly meetings.

Reply to
footy

I don't think people get as upset as you think. Sometimes its just fun to dish out a little sh*t.

Reply to
footy

I think Lincoln started it, at least the earliest use I've seen of it was in a Lincoln book and they seemed determined to use it.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Very well, I'll quote you in your entirety if that is fairer to you. When I said "this shit" I wasn't talking about welding in general; I was referring to poking fun at the AWS, which is exactly and only what I did. Never did I dismiss the potential dangers of welding or give short shrift to the craft of welding. (talk about being unfair)

Maybe what's needed in this group is a list of sacred cows that no one is allowed to make fun of.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

No sweat. Been there, done that myself.

Reply to