Ready to buy a machine advice

Hi I've looked over a few posts(mine included) on requests like this and am ready to purchase a machine..I need it for my personal use..i.e. build trolleys,gates,burglar bars and the odd weld here or there.. I owed a lincoln tombstone stick welder previous but need to get into tig welding also for thinner sizes(I kept blowing holes in an aluminum gate I built) any final suggestions before I go ahead? thanks req

Reply to
reqluq

I just got a Lincoln Precision TIG 185 and LOVE IT

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Reply to
<Larry>

How thick of metal do you want to weld? For TIG, steel wants about 1 amp per thousandth of an inch of work thickness, aluminum wants about 1.3 amps/thousandth. Stainless wants about .8 amps/thousandth. Stick welding has lower current requirements but you probably know those better than I do from your tombstone.

The maximum thickness you want to weld will drive the size of the machine. Features, local support, reputation and personal preferences probably the vendor and model.

I just picked up a Miller Syncrowave 250 this winter and it has been a really nice machine.

Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

You seem to want different processes. You express a need for MIG and TIG. I would suggest that you get both, and get a stick while you are at the welding store.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Check out the Thermal Arc 185. I recently purchased one and I love it. I only had experience with O/A before that. The 185 seems to have every feature at a very reasonable price. High Frequency, Pulse, AC/DC, low

220 ACV amp draw, Sequencing, and stick capabilities, etc. I first was going to buy a low end DC only TIG machine with lift start and then I thought I should go up to at least high freq start, then I wanted AC/DC by the time you add them all up...well the 185 had all the features for the best price. Seems to have gotten good reviews on this NG. In any case, my advice is buy the best. In the long run...it'll be cheaper.

-Mike

Reply to
mclorson