E7031 question

I stopped by a friends shop yesterday and he had a freind of his welding a
.625" plate he was stick welding to the rear of an old international dump
truck. I asked what rod he was using and the one guy said "7031" (it looked
like 3/16" or 1/4" dia.)
Let me know if i have this straight since i do very little stick welding
(all i ever use is 1/8" 6013 rod and it's rare, usually grab the mig) but
the "70" means it's 70,000psi, the "3" is flat position, (which i thought
"1" would be better since he was stitching up in a vertical position) and
the "1" would be ac, dcep or en.
I have never seen 7031 electrodes, could he have meant 7013?
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Looking in my Modern Welding textbook, pages 250 and 251, I cannot find a listing for either the 7013 or 7031. There are some xx13 rods, but no xx31 rods. It lists E6013, E 8013-X, E9013-X, and E10013-X. The X designates the chemical composition of the deposited metal. In the EXX13, the 1 designation means it is an all position rod, and the 3 indicates it is high-titania, potassium covering. XX is a substitution for the tensile strength in thousands of pounds, so E6013 would be 60,000 psi tensile strength. If it were a E10013, it would have 100,000 psi tensile strength. The E indicates "a welding electrode used in arc welding."
I would take a close look at those, and bring one home. If you can give me the letters on it, I can look it up here.
Reply to
The next to last number is the position it can be welded, 1 meaning all positions. The last number is the coating, and requires a chart (of which I have one) to look up the metal composition of the coating.
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.