Basic stick welding question

Here's a simple question for you stick welding guru's. I have a miller
syncrowave 180 sd machine that i primarily bought for tig welding but since
it has stick capabilities, I bought a box of 6013 x .125" rods to use on
sheet metal (.062"- .125")
I can use it outdoors instead of mig, so i may get some limited use. My
question is, how can I tell if I should use dcep or dcen? I made a pass
using electrode negative and it worked pretty well. Also, will I ever need
to use AC for stick welding?
Thanks in advance,
ps. getting pretty darn good at Tig welding so far (love the mild steel, not
a big fan of aluminum yet!). Thanks for your responses in the past regarding
tig welding, they really helped.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
6013 is normally run with electrode positive. Electrode negative will give shallower penetration (useful on materials normally too thin for the given rod diameter). AC would only be used if you're getting arc blow.
Reply to
Gary Coffman
Thanks Gary, nobody answered my question for so long, i thought i was unloved! walt
Reply to
What Gary said except that 6013 runs very nicely on AC (designed for low open circuit voltage AC buzzbox welders) (Ok, it runs a skoosh better on DC!)
Gary Coffman wrote:
Reply to
Roy J
Hay Wallster
There are a few free books & pamphlets that have this sort of data, published by various electrode manufactures. Or @ least they were. 3 I can think of are; Lincoln, Hobart, & Esab (sp?) I think Lincoln has tech. data sheets (not msds's) on line, or call your local Lincoln rep. & he can fax a few to you. For Hobart's you have to call Troy, Ohio. Back where Hobart Arena is, and where I played hockey as a teenager.
Good Luck John
Reply to
John McGraw
Thanks John, i'll scout them out. I have the Lincoln procedures book so far. It's pretty informative. walt
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.