Basic stick welding question

Here's a simple question for you stick welding guru's. I have a miller syncrowave 180 sd machine that i primarily bought for tig welding but since it has stick capabilities, I bought a box of 6013 x .125" rods to use on sheet metal (.062"- .125") I can use it outdoors instead of mig, so i may get some limited use. My question is, how can I tell if I should use dcep or dcen? I made a pass using electrode negative and it worked pretty well. Also, will I ever need to use AC for stick welding? Thanks in advance, walt ps. getting pretty darn good at Tig welding so far (love the mild steel, not a big fan of aluminum yet!). Thanks for your responses in the past regarding tig welding, they really helped.

Reply to
Walt

6013 is normally run with electrode positive. Electrode negative will give shallower penetration (useful on materials normally too thin for the given rod diameter). AC would only be used if you're getting arc blow.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Thanks Gary, nobody answered my question for so long, i thought i was unloved! walt

Reply to
wallster

Reply to
Roy J

Hay Wallster

There are a few free books & pamphlets that have this sort of data, published by various electrode manufactures. Or @ least they were. 3 I can think of are; Lincoln, Hobart, & Esab (sp?) I think Lincoln has tech. data sheets (not msds's) on line, or call your local Lincoln rep. & he can fax a few to you. For Hobart's you have to call Troy, Ohio. Back where Hobart Arena is, and where I played hockey as a teenager.

Good Luck John

Reply to
John McGraw

Thanks John, i'll scout them out. I have the Lincoln procedures book so far. It's pretty informative. walt

Reply to
wallster