Free Welding Rod in Seattle.

OK Guys I need a little help.

Pacific industrial supply donated several tons of welding rod to South Seattle Comm. Coll. welding program. Unfortunately we don't have enough room to store it all.

I have been ordered by my Dean to get rid of the excess by this weekend.

All the rod is in 50 lb. steel cans or 50 lb. boxes. Rod types:

8018, 6010, 7014, 7016, 12018, 7010, 7018.

There is a lot of 3/32" 8018. This is really nice stuff. Runs well and is a little stronger than 7018. No splitting of cans.

Some of the cans have enough surface rust on the outside that we don't even know what rod is in there.

Everything is FREE. Take as much as you want. Use it, sell it on eBay, make art out of it, we don't care.

Just PLEASE take it away.

I will be at school Saturday from 10 am to around 5 pm, with occasional breaks for food.

Call me if you need directions or wish to schedule a different day.

home 425-235-2859 cel 425-591-6816

If you want to come by Friday afternoon, my boss John Todd will be there from 12 noon to 6 pm.

If you try calling my cel number on Saturday and don't get through, call the school shop number. SSCC campus is not good for celphone coverage.

The school shop number is 206-764-5352

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I wish I lived near you. I just purchased some rod and cried when I had to write the check.

Scott Young

Reply to
Young

Ernie--I'd love to take some as I want to get some stick practice.

Of these rods, are there any that don't need to be in an oven but would run nicely on an inverter such as the TA185 (OCV ~69V, working voltage ~25-26V @ 100-160A).

The 7018 is tempting but I'd be using it for actual structural stuff & so I only want to acquire as much fresh as I can use immediately.

Thanks!

Jeff Dantzler Seattlem, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

The smaller 8018 would run very well on your inverter. There is also some 1/8" rods. As long as you transfered it from the can to another airtight container, it should store just fine.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I dont live near Seattle nor do I have a (good) use for the rod but it is damn nice of you to think of us Ernie! You really are "the man"

walt

Reply to
Wallster

Anything that doesn't end with 18 can be stored in a normal dry enclosed environment. There's *some* hyperactivity involved with the needed care to the "18's". If you can do your non-inspected structural project with

6010/11, 6013, 7014/24... then you can do it with less than perfect 7018.

If you're not a trained, certified, seasoned welder familiar with making "test passing" welds it doesn't matter that much what rod you use and how it was stored. The imperfections will be there but won't matter if you know your own abilities by doing your own testing. Most of the time our testing is just the playing we do for the first month.

Washington State may not be the best place to store 7018 out of an oven. It is ok in the "never opened" container indefinitely. The flux will start to come off more easily when it gets bad. If your MIG wire rusts on the machine in your garage then you may want to take extra precautions with your "dry" stick electrodes for extending the useful life.

I've used 7018 with mold on it by using a trick taught by Mike Graham. Short the rod to the work for a few seconds before welding and that helps to dry it out and prime it for melting.

Once again, this info is assuming you have a head and use it. I assume that because you have been welding for some time and are still here to post and I would like to keep it that way. ;^)

Reply to
Zorro

I know that feeling! I could cry too! Ernie, bless you, but there's everyone weeping away there thinking of carefree burning xx10's, xx18's and all that but Seattle is just too far away.

Put in perspective, I was quoted equiv. $150 for a tin of 6010's - Lincoln 5-something - about as good as you can get and fine if you are doing paid work to a guaranteed spec., for sure, but all I want to do is run lots of runs and get the feel of the things.

Richard Smith

Young wrote:

Reply to
Richard Smith

Shipping on a 50 lb. can via UPS is around $40

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hi Ernie

Not if you live in England. Worked for Case Western in Cleveland, OH (and good time it was too) hence American-looking email.

Good way to lay-off the cost of a return trip to Cleveland - get the electrodes sent there to friends and borrow a welding set for the duration while visiting. Then there is how to get the metal to test weld on for free.

"Cleveland Police and the management at a large steelworks in the city profess themselves to be baffled by a mystery person who broke into the junkyard ten nights in a row and welded the scrap metal together. Embarrassed security personnel admitted they had seen welding going on in the junkyard during the night, but had assumed it was some kind of maintenance work or scrap preparation. Footage from security cameras shows a person about six feet tall breaking into the yard carrying a large rectangular obviously heavy object which is believed to have been a welding machine. The bizarre action came to light when workers tried to load a scrap dumpster to charge the main furnace in the melting shop and discovered that about an acre of scrap was now welded together. Some of the welds had been broken with a sledge-hammer, but others though marked with hammer-blows remained intact. Investigating officer Jim Brdkchc said "darn it, we can't even bust the guy for theft, as it's reckoned he's left about 200lbs of extra metal in these welds he's done. We just don't know what this guy was thinking he was doing". Investigations continue. Anyone with any information may contact police anonymously on 01234 5678910"

The Phantom Welder

Reply to
Richard Smith

You aren't related to Terry Pratchett by any chance?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

'fraid not. The explanation remains unknown. Brain scans are all clear (of obvious *physiological* abnormalities, that is).

Reply to
Richard Smith

Damned straight.

Many many thanks Ernie!!

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

This is a damn shame. Too bad you don't have 10 days or so. Surely one of the large welding contractors up there have a spare cargo shipping container they could loan the school for a few months, while your students burn up the rod. Or some place to store it. What's the all fired big hurry? It's not hazardest waist.

Good Luck John

Reply to
John McGraw

It's not hazardest waist.

Hey John, Did Spell checker pass that? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Skipping school, I decide to respond to what Ernie Leimkuhler fosted Fri, 14 May 2004 06:32:11 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

I realize this is a bit late, but did you contact the other welding programs in King County? e.g., Renton Tech, Green River, Shoreline? I suspect the welding programs are like the machinist programs: always willing to accept materials students can use.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

That's insane. I got a 50# can of Lincoln 5P+ for $1.42 a lb. a few weeks ago. Is that with shipping, too?

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Before he answers I'm going to guess he did that on purpose to make fun of the silliness surrounding the practice. :)

Alvin in AZ (libertarian)

Reply to
alvinj

(snip)

No the problem is a Dean who like things tidy, plus the 2 tenured teachers didn't even bother to see what was in the pallets and just declared them useless.

I ended up taking about 2000 lbs of it into our store room. I gave away about 3000 lbs today.

To everybody who showed, Thanks

I still have about 2000 lbs of 3/16" 6010, 2000 lbs of 7/32" 7014, 3000 lbs of 3/16" 7010, and about 2000 lbs of 8018 in 3/32" and 5/32". Also a few boxes of 1/4" 7016.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I will try calling around on Monday, but most of the stuff I have left is huge.

Most welding programs only use 1/8" rod and smaller.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yeah it did, sorta..... It gave me "hazard" & I improvised the ending. I can't spell for squat in English. When I was in school, taking French, I could spell fairly well in French. English totally baffles me. Every rule I learned had 15 exceptions. Fortunately what I lack in English I make up for in math, physics, & chemistry. They have consistent rules / concepts that I can understand & usually remember.

Reply to
John McGraw