Free Welding Rod in Seattle.

OK Guys I need a little help.

Pacific industrial supply donated several tons of welding rod to South Seattle Comm. Coll. welding program. Unfortunately we don't have enough room to store it all.

I have been ordered by my Dean to get rid of the excess by this weekend.

All the rod is in 50 lb. steel cans or 50 lb. boxes. Rod types:

8018, 6010, 7014, 7016, 12018, 7010, 7018.

There is a lot of 3/32" 8018. This is really nice stuff. Runs well and is a little stronger than 7018. No splitting of cans.

Some of the cans have enough surface rust on the outside that we don't even know what rod is in there.

Everything is FREE. Take as much as you want. Use it, sell it on eBay, make art out of it, we don't care.

Just PLEASE take it away.

I will be at school Saturday from 10 am to around 5 pm, with occasional breaks for food.

Call me if you need directions or wish to schedule a different day.

home 425-235-2859 cel 425-591-6816

If you want to come by Friday afternoon, my boss John Todd will be there from 12 noon to 6 pm.

If you try calling my cel number on Saturday and don't get through, call the school shop number. SSCC campus is not good for celphone coverage.

The school shop number is 206-764-5352

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie--I'd love to take some as I want to get some stick practice.

Of these rods, are there any that don't need to be in an oven but would run nicely on an inverter such as the TA185 (OCV ~69V, working voltage ~25-26V @ 100-160A).

The 7018 is tempting but I'd be using it for actual structural stuff & so I only want to acquire as much fresh as I can use immediately.

Thanks!

Jeff Dantzler Seattlem, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I dont live near Seattle nor do I have a (good) use for the rod but it is damn nice of you to think of us Ernie! You really are "the man"

walt

Reply to
Wallster

Damned straight.

Many many thanks Ernie!!

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

This is a damn shame. Too bad you don't have 10 days or so. Surely one of the large welding contractors up there have a spare cargo shipping container they could loan the school for a few months, while your students burn up the rod. Or some place to store it. What's the all fired big hurry? It's not hazardest waist.

Good Luck John

Reply to
John McGraw

It's not hazardest waist.

Hey John, Did Spell checker pass that? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Skipping school, I decide to respond to what Ernie Leimkuhler fosted Fri, 14 May 2004 06:32:11 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

I realize this is a bit late, but did you contact the other welding programs in King County? e.g., Renton Tech, Green River, Shoreline? I suspect the welding programs are like the machinist programs: always willing to accept materials students can use.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Before he answers I'm going to guess he did that on purpose to make fun of the silliness surrounding the practice. :)

Alvin in AZ (libertarian)

Reply to
alvinj

(snip)

No the problem is a Dean who like things tidy, plus the 2 tenured teachers didn't even bother to see what was in the pallets and just declared them useless.

I ended up taking about 2000 lbs of it into our store room. I gave away about 3000 lbs today.

To everybody who showed, Thanks

I still have about 2000 lbs of 3/16" 6010, 2000 lbs of 7/32" 7014, 3000 lbs of 3/16" 7010, and about 2000 lbs of 8018 in 3/32" and 5/32". Also a few boxes of 1/4" 7016.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I will try calling around on Monday, but most of the stuff I have left is huge.

Most welding programs only use 1/8" rod and smaller.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yeah it did, sorta..... It gave me "hazard" & I improvised the ending. I can't spell for squat in English. When I was in school, taking French, I could spell fairly well in French. English totally baffles me. Every rule I learned had 15 exceptions. Fortunately what I lack in English I make up for in math, physics, & chemistry. They have consistent rules / concepts that I can understand & usually remember.

Reply to
John McGraw

Huh. I guess we probably did, too, in "intro welding", but in advanced welding a point was made that using suitably sized rod would get the job done far quicker (I learned in an Agricultural Engineering department - no shortage of jobs with big hunks of metal to be fixed), so we practiced with some large rod. Of course these days wirefeed is the most efficient way to lay down a lot of metal, but there are still stick jobs where a large diameter rod will get it done better than 3-4 little ones.

We got to play with other toys, too - I wish I could justify a powder torch, or find one unloved in a garage sale for cheap - you could literally hardface a shovel with one of those.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Not those that are specific to a particular trade. There, they use the size and type of rod that is used in actual practice.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

That is true. In Seattle the major employers of stick weldors are the shipyards. They all run small rod in multiple passes for lower distortion. A program that concentrated on heavy machine repair would need larger rod.

Unfortunately I don't know of any in the Seattle area.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Skipping school, I decide to respond to what Ernie Leimkuhler fosted Mon, 17 May 2004 01:08:05 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

Check w/ Renton Technical College. I don't know the rep of the welding shop - I just had them fix a "booboo" I made in the machine shop program. (Did you know that 1/16th x 6 inch slit saws are really flexible, and if one side is dull, it cuts to the sharp side if you try too deep a cut? I didn't either, but I do now.) But I see some rather large "chunks" in their recycle bin.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I called around today and got some takers.

I had 3 groups in this evening. One was from Green River College, and the otehr 2 were artist/sculpturs.

I have the guys from Lake Washington Tech coming down Tuesday or Wednesday. Renton Tech said they didn't need any since they got a pile of rod from the Todd Ship yards

What I have left is 1000 lbs each of 8018 and 9018 in 5/32" and 3/32". Another 1000 lbs each of 3/16" 6010 and 7010, and 1000 lbs of 7/32"

7014.

We have definitely put a dent in the pallets of rod.

Thanks to you all.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Sigh....

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Olympic college said yes, two friends said no. See you tomorrow or if not you then someone.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Olympic College thanks you and Roger. I dropped off about 1300 lbs there this morning. And told Chris Hobson that there was still lots left. He may call and see about getting some more.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster