Machine shop Instructor needed in Seattle

Guys things are getting grim at South Seattle Comm. Coll. The deans and chancellors are starting to think of uses for the machine shop building. If we don't get a program installed there soon, the shop will be liquidated.

FYI The machining program was canceled last spring after many years of under enrollment. This lack of students can be attributed almost completely to the instructor at the time. He would do nothing to bring in students and would refuse to let people take his classes if he didn't think they were "serious" about being a machinist

We need somebody willing to teach an evening basic machine shop program. It will be run under continuing education. Pay is not great, but you do get to be in charge of an outrageously well equipped machine shop. I would teach it myself, but it has been too many years since I was a prototype machinist at Purdue. Plus they will never let me teach welding and machining at the same time.

If you are interested, or know somebody who could be tricked, I mean convinced, to do this, please contact me.

Ernie Leimkuhler Phone 425-235-2859 Cel: 425-591-6816

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Michelle P

snip.

This is the sort of thing I'd love 1) if I were retired and had any extra moments, 2) if it hadn't been 20+ years since I'd done anything other than hobby machining, 3) if I wasn't on the wrong side of the Puget sound (Vancouver Island), 4) several more if's...

Not to be cynical, since I do feel bad about programs like this terminating, but if no one fills the spot please do let us know when they have the auction...

Mickey in Victoria

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

Geeze Ernie, you would think some laid off toolmaker from Boeing would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Have you tried the Union hall ???

I would jump on it in a heart beat, were it not for the 2-1/2 hr commute.............

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

They killed the Industrial Automation program 5 years ago, and the Avionics program 3 years ago. They honestly believe they are doing a good thing when they kill a program. It is short term thinking.

I have heard that our Diesel Program will be expanding soon due to demand. It was down to 1 instructor 4 hours a day.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

There won't be an auction. The whole shop would be packed up and shipped to Olympia to the State surplus operations. Closed bids.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Not enough money to live on, but enough money to screw up their unemployment benefits.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Why don't you use one of your contacts over at the Union to see if some of the recently retired may be interested. I KNOW they got a HUGE pool of talent over there.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Reply to
Larry

There was a recent change in SSBN and now there is no problem if you are over cho official retirement age. 65 years and four months now. There would be no problem with any Boeing retirement, the only problem could be from a Washington State retirement.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

It's called the poverty trap - we have it this side of the ditch as well.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Certainly a solution could be found where they would be paid the minimal amount of money it takes to screw up their unemployment benefits minus one cent, couldn't it?

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

Ernie Leimkuhler spluttered in news:050120041306351161% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

The welding instruction program at the local Vo-Ed has slowly ground to a stop over the last few years. Cuyahoga Valley vo-ed. No interest evidently.

Reply to
Greg M

To put it simply, any amount of money that you earn effects the amount of unemployment benefits you receive in Washington state. They deduct around

75% of what you earn from your benefits check. Lane
Reply to
lane