FREE large air compressor in Seattle

Guys I have a HUGE air compressor up at school that is free for the hauling. It has a 80 gallon horizontal tank, and originally had 2 single-cylinder pumps with a HUGE 3-phase motor in between. Due to an accident when the compressor fell off the forklift, one of the pumps and the motor were destroyed. The other pump still works fine and is very big by itself. Add a 3 HP motor to it and you have a LOT of air.

Let me know immediately if you are interested. I have to make it go away this weekend. Sorry for the rush, but they are anxious to get the yard cleaned up for the first week of classes.

Try my home phone first 425-235-2859 and my cel second 425-591-6816 Don't call before 9 am.

I was going to wrestle with it myself, but the reality of my situation has made me realize I need to pass this one on to somebody else.

If nobody takes it this weekend, it goes into the scrap bin.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Somebody really NEEDs to grab this..its a "once in a lifetime" scores.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Yep. Wish it was nearer and I wasn't up to my hips putting on a roof right now. Just can't afford to risk spending time while it's not raining that isn't directed towards roof progress. . My Quincy 80 gallon tank has a very minor leak at a weld seam that comes and goes. Acts like a pin hole, hot a bad seam. Hasn't leaked for the last year, but how much longer can it hold out? Sigh!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I was kinda wondering where Harold was! Hope the roofing is going apace.

As for the air compressor tank, why not use the old radiator stop-leak trick, and pour a can of black pepper into the thing?

=8-O

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Harold has had less than a good experience with his ISP and the news servers. About a week ago I tried to go to RCM to read the latest, but instead of downloading the threads, it told me that the news server couldn't be found, and immediately deleted the link I click. Thinking there was a problem with the news server, I let it slide for a couple days, but when I tried to download RCM again, it wasn't included in the list. I finally called my ISP to discover that somehow my list had been corrupted. I deleted everything and downloaded the news group list and there it was again. Got me back online, and I've been able to post for the last while as well, something that had not worked but occasionally before. Don't have a clue what's going on, but at least I'm here right now.

We've had very unseasonable weather for our area for the past three weeks, cool, with *lots* (several inches) of rain. It has delayed our progress, but we're now kicking butt as of the past three days, what with the warmer weather and dryer temps. In spite of myself, it looks like we're going to end up with a roof. Will miracles ever cease? .

It wouldn't do much good right now considering it's not leaking, but I'll certainly give that idea a go if it starts again. It's more or less done that very thing on its own, likely from fine rust particles. What I really need to do is replace the tank. I bought the compressor new back in either '68 or '69 and it's served me exceedingly well, so a few hundred bucks for a new tank wouldn't be unreasonable.

How's Jim?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Hi, Harold.

I got a couple 80 gallon upright sears tanks kicking around behind the shop....If you want one em free for the taking just drop me a line.......IIRC Im not all that far south from you.

These were both oil-less compressors.....unfortunately, they are both now air-less, the pumps having self destructed--I really dont have time to mess with them, but theyre too good to send to the scrapyard.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Jim Wright picked it up today, or rather the forklift picked it and and placed it in his truck.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

snip-----

What a generous offer! I'm not sure that would work for me in this instance. My tank is a horizontal variety, and the compressor head is huge. Anyone that's familiar with the old Quincy compressors knows of what I speak.

Unless the tank would accept horizontal mounting easily, I can't help but believe it would be more work than it's worth to try to mount the components with which I'm "stuck". Aside from the tiny intermittent leak, the balance of the compressor is in excellent condition. Still no trace of oil in the air after all those years.

I think of you when I drive past your location along I-5 on the rare trip to Portland.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Oh well, its up for grabs for anybody thinks they can use it--but they gotta pick it up is all.

Honk five times as you pass by.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Couldn't ask for anything more than that, could we? Very kind of you!

Chuckle! Sure as hell will, and if we're driving our 1 ton, you'll know it's us. We have air horns, very loud ones at that.

Be well,

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Keep the old tank strictly as a mount and plumb the pump to the new tank (or tanks). The new tank(s) can be mounted remote from the pump if you have a space problem at the existing compressor location.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Won't work in this instance due to the way the shop is finished. There is a dedicated room for the compressor and built in vacuum cleaner system, which is pretty well packed tight. Not enough room to add another item. All air lines are in the walls, cast in concrete, so there's no access to them. Good idea otherwise, though.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I don't know how big the compressor section on your's is, but I'd guess that removing the compressor assembly from the existing compressor and placing it on the floor next to a vertical 80gal tank might be about the same footprint that you have now.

Reply to
Jim Levie

That's actually a good idea, one that slipped past me. I'll have to take a serious look to see if it will work. The head on Quincy compressors is not a light-weigh, and quite large, as I already stated. . They're a serious machine that puts out plenty of volume. Mine is rated at 19+CFM @ 175 PSI. That might be the other consideration with the offered tank, which might not be rated for that pressure. Thanks for the thought!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

You would want to make sure that the tank is rated for the what ever you set the cutoff to. Remember that just because the compressor will go to 175psi that it can be reset to a lower cutoff. Given that those tanks being offered were used for an oil less system they probably aren't rated beyond 125 or 150. Even then if you don't have a huge appetite for compressed air running at a lower cut off would only mean that the unit would cycle a bit more often.

Reply to
Jim Levie

They are indeed rated at 125 psi if I recall.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

compressors

Profound sadness! I use my compressor for bead and sand blasting and like to have the higher pressure in reserve. It's also nice when I want to fill the air tank on my 1 ton truck to avoid running the pigmy compressor endlessly. The air system on the truck cycles on at 135 and off at 150 PSI.

In the shop, as it is, the compressor just keeps up with the demand when doing some serious blasting. With that in mind, I'm not nuts about the idea of running lower pressure. Looks like it's back to the new tank the next time it spouts a leak. I had already inquired about two years ago, only to have the slight seepage quit.

By the way, depending on the diameter of the offered tank, it's possible the overall footprint would have been slightly larger. There's 49" of OAL goodies on the mounting plate, which bolts to the standoffs on the compressor. I could gain about 8" by moving the pressure switch.

I appreciate the good input.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

You folks should have been at the local metal dropoff yesterday. Guy left a mint 80 gallon, 175psi air tank from an old monster V4 DeVillbiss that blew its guts out. I would have dragged it home, but it wouldn't fit the in basement. I did, however, rescue an '80s 12 gallon, twin cylinder DeVillbiss that runs like a top. Can't win 'em all.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I was actually being ironic with the comment about the black pepper. Don't put that in your air tank! :)

Jim's hanging in there, he's got five weeks of vacation to burn by the end of the year so he's gonna lose a bunch of it. We've been getting the hurricane remains for each of the storm systems that've been pounding fla, each one has hit use with 6 or so inches of rain in a day each time. In between those it's been a great fall so far. I still owe you a Mc.M-C catalog, and of course the minute you need one of those, they seem to disappear never to be seen again. Sorry for the delay.

I've been spending a fair amount of time at the local rifle range and for some reason the rest of my family seems to enjoy going there on the weekends and plinking away at targets - so it's been pretty relaxing.

Best to you and yours - Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Well, considering the small leak (when it's there, anyway) is in the very bottom of the tank, I think it would work so long as you got the pepper in there and let it settle to the bottom, absorbing what little moisture might be present. As large as the tank is, and as far away the discharge is from the bottom, I can't imagine it would get expelled by anything but blowing down the tank. On that subject, I have it plumbed directly outside, so it's a piece of cake to blow down, which I do almost daily. More often if I'm running it much.

You mean actually take time off and not get up early to report to work? Chuckle. Where do you find a deal like that? You must really love your job. If I had five weeks of vacation looking me in the face, all you'd see is my shirt tails flapping in the breeze left by my rapid exit from the facility.

We've been getting the hurricane remains

Wow! That's a lot of rain. Didn't realize the effects were felt so far north. Sounds to me like you won't be running out of water this year.

I still owe you a Mc.M-C catalog, and of course

No problem, Jim. I'll appreciate it when it gets here, and I appreciate your thinking of me mean time.

I recall you asking about and then buying a 22 rifle. What a nice way to enjoy the weekends with your family. My hat's off to you for including them in your life as you do. It's been a long time since I last did any target shooting, but it's a lot of fun. I quite enjoy shooting clay pigeons, too.

Thanks, Jim, and the same to you and yours.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos