Looking for Moly-D oil

I've tried a search for a quart of Moly-D oil but don't seem to be able to find the stuff.

It seems like this used to be available at the auto-parts store, many years ago but I can't find it now.

I want it for a lube and for threading and would appreciate it if someone has a link to where I can purchase some.

Thanks.

Lewis.

Lewis Campbell

Moly-D is a powder. You can buy it from McMaster Carr in powder form and add it to any oil you'd like. Or you could buy some TuffOil and get it along with Teflon already mixed. There's a few other sources but those are the easiest for me.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Do you mean "Molly-Dee"? Packaged by Castrol (IIRC)?

I get mine by ordering from MSC.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Most Napa autoparts stores also sell a product made by PowerPunch that is a MolyD based oil. Works Freaking Great in manual transmissions and rear ends, as well as shaper rams etc.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

That's the other one I've heard of but never found locally.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

You really, really don't want this stuff for cutting threads. Use a proper cutting compound, which isn't a lubricant, like lard oil, dark sulfur oil, pipe threading oil, Tap Magic, whatever, just not 3-in-1, motor oil, or anything with Teflon or MoS2 in it. You're trying to cut threads(in most cases), not lubricate them. I suppose if you were using thread-forming taps, you'd want a real lube, though.

If you really need a moly lube, look for Dri-Slide or some die lube from the likes of MSC. The lack of moly-containing motor oil additives currently on the shelf should clue you in. Similar to some graphite oil additives, the stuff settles out and plugs up things that shouldn't be plugged. Bad news for your engine, good news for engine rebuilders.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Looks to be western states only

This is the stuff
I see they do take online orders

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Ive got a couple gallons of MolyD tapping lube. Works pretty well. The cans are older than dirt, and I use it for really tough jobs like pipe threading etc.

A fellow gave me a 2 liter bottle full of ValTap (Valenite) and I really use it most of the time on just about every tapping operation.

"ValTap tapping fluid eliminates chip welding and the possibility of broken taps. It produces precision threads on steels, irons, stainless steels, high-temperature alloys, copper, aluminum, and die castings. It can be used in its undiluted form to tap ferrous and nonferrous metals and can be directly applied to the tap during a tapping operation. ValTap does not leave gummy deposits and works best at higher tapping speeds. It does not smoke or emit offensive odors or produce fumes."

Its quite thick and I think it may be water based as it washes off the parts really easily.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks for all the help, guys, I appreciate it.

Lewis.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

--1-800-SB-BOLTS has it by the pint, the quart, etc.

Reply to
steamer