Steam Engine - Piston Ring materials

I've made a cast iron piston which is 45mm diameter for use in low pressure steam engine. The bore is brass of some mix.

Can I use cast iron for the piston rings? I don't want to sink really low and use PTFE as it's a pre WWI model restoration.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

In message , Steve W writes

45mm is probably near enough to 1.75" for you to try nominal 1.75" o.d. Viton 'O' rings. These can be obtained from many of the usual Model Engineering suppliers. Those same suppliers will be able to quote suitable width and depth for the groove(s) in the piston.
Reply to
Mike H

He said he did not want to use PTFE.

Iron would be the normal choice for a metal ring in an iron bore, but I am not so sure about using it for either piston or rings in a non-ferrous cylinder. It would be an 'unusual' combination. A non-metalic seal of some kind would be more 'normal'. In restoring an old engine, packing fairly large grooves with graphited yarn might be more authentic.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Iron or steel running in a copper alloy cylinder is what you get with a cylinder head valve and guide and that's a very normal combination. The basic rule about tribology is always run different metals against each other where possible. Copper alloys are very tolerant about what will run against them. A steel valve stem needs to be chrome plated to run in a cast iron guide but works fine unplated in a bronze one. I can't imagine a steam engine piston ring being any different although chrome plating always reduces friction and increases life.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks Charles. I'll put it on the list for Harrogate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Just curiosity, can you get away with a Viton 0-ring even in a low pressure steam engine? I would worry that the pressure-speed product might be a bit high.

Reply to
Newshound

In message , Newshound writes

'O' rings seem to be the norm for both piston ring and piston rod glands. I guess that in comparison with the likes of graphited yarn they are the bees' knees. I believe that there are people who use off the shelf automotive rings. It is my understanding that DIY production of rings requires heat treatment skills and equipment way beyond the average home workshop.

Reply to
Mike H

Hope not - next round of construction on a little IC engine is to make the piston AND cast iron rings!

Steve

Reply to
Steve W