ring removal

Been dismantling an engine over the weekend (inevitably another rusty Petter - a 2hp direct-coupled P-L). It made a horrible clonking. Owing to bore wear and very heavy carbon behind the rings I had to jack the piston out and found all three rings stuck solid. The piston wear says its been that way for a long time. Although the flange is stamped +.031 it has subsequently been linered back to std so must have done a lot of very hard work. Standing looking puzzled when Celia said "what will you use- the tin of 'Carbon remover' you bought for the cooker (another long story :-). Good idea that so I slapped a generous dollop all round the rings and left it overnight. The rings are off with no violence or damage. The ring grooves are now having another soak Active ingredients are Ammonia and Methyl Ethyl Chloride. hth someone Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

All you need for ring removal is a hobbit.

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

It could have helped me roland and saved me breaking a ring :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Gollum ( It's my preciousses )

Reply to
Barry Ruck

Where can I buy some Roland? Now Fairways have said that they don't support S-T type N, I shall have to be extra careful!

Reply to
Nick H