Slightly OT ! where to find a good pocket protector?

I know this sounds silly.......but all the people I deal with have all but stopped giving out or even selling pocket protectors. I don't mind paying for them if I can get one that will last. I tend to overload them with a paint pen, pencil,pen, mirror etc. I work in refrigeration and all this comes in handy. Usually see a protector on a machinist.........so that is why I asked here. Thanks in advance Lyndell

P.S. May have to fashion one out of a soft drink can gingerly weld up the seams. :-)

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Any nerd store

Clark Magnuson

Real nerds dont worry about ink stains on shirts.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

I have attained the level of ink stain on the lab coat breast pocket, the blue badge of nerdage.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

The Pocket Protector Store of course!

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

According to Gunner :

What a shame. I went there hoping that they would have one like what I used to wear a long time ago. I worked for an Army R&D lab, and one of the things which you could get through the GSA supply center at that time (mid to late 1960s) was a very nice leather one, complete with a spring clip to keep it from falling out of your pocket when you bent over.

I wish that I had picked up several of them at the time, instead of the one, which finally wore out, I believe.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(custom pocket protectors avail)

Ive got a different issue. I generally wear t-shirts on the job. I buy em cheap at the second hand stores. and when I ruin one crawling around inside machine tools, I simply toss em in the trash and put on another.

They dont have pockets usually. and when they do..they are usually not deep enough for pens etc.

Ive tried the EMS pouches, pockets for pens, knife etc etc but Ive found none that are really good for my application. Needs to have a quick disconnect belt holder, room for a large cell phone, pens, folding knife, PDA and maybe a couple small screwdrivers. The deal killer is the quick disconnect. When I have to crawl into a machine..its a pain in the ass threading/unthreading my belt through it.

Im considering a "purse" arraingment. Modifying a EMS pouch etc with a shoulder strap. Shrug

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner: We've got what we call these "Stupid F**Bags" at work. They are really just a 5x7 zippered Cordura nylon bag with a badge window. They have a belt that has a simple FastTac style connector for the belt. I'll look at mine in the morning and see if it has a vendor name.

Craig

Reply to
cvairwerks
[ ... ]

No image? They aren't proud enough of it?

Hmm ... I suddenly remember why I no longer wear a pocket protector. Most of my shirt pocket is occupied by my prescription safety glasses case. Room left for one pen and one laser pointer (for exercising the cats).

O.K. Mostly, I use a leather belt pouch, picked up at a science fiction convention, where a local leatherworker has some nice stuff.

It contains my checkbook, two HP calculators (15C and 16C), several 6" scales -- (two rigid 1" wide and the others flexible 1/2" wide), lots of small screwdrivers, tire pressure gauge, small pin vise, special tool for unlocking SIMM sockets on SGI computers, a small inspection flashlight, and various other things which find their way in from time to time.

Of course, there are other things hanging from the belt in other locations. And before you ask -- no, I *don't* travel by air, these days. :-)

I know what you mean about the pain threading/unthreading the belt when you want to set it aside. I would suggest something like the snaps used to fasten some holsters onto your belt. Probably a stiff leather panel coming up behind the belt, and a wide band going over the belt and snapping in just behind it. Talk to a local leatherworker about making it -- perhaps with some special compartments in it to keep small screwdrivers vertical and such. It is a pain to dig everything out to get to the shorter screwdrivers which have settled to the bottom and turned sidewise. :-) If it turns out good enough, you (or your leatherworker) might be able to find a market for them.

I've used a police supply "baton ring" as my master key ring, with small pseudo-carabiners carrying different sets of keys that can be easily disconnected.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Gunner, You should have Larry whip up something in that camo cloth with velcro. He has some way cool pouches that would work well for that. Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Cool.

My normal daily load....

Keys (with Ibm logoed MicroLeatherman, which is useful for placing behind belt where it doubles at the buckle.

Left front pants pocket..spare magazine for AMT DAO .45 (sometimes in black nylon covered pouch to the right of cell phone, depending on how Im dressed.

Right front, 2 spare lighters, pocket change, odd nuts/bolts/fittings, and lockblade knife with spring clip outside of pocket..work knife

Right rear, tactical combat folding lockback, spring clip outside of pocket and 12 LED mini light. often also 2 screwdrivers and dikes.

Left rear, often overstuffed wallet (overstuffed with receipts and business cards..not money). Often a couple ball point pens..bics

left rear belt, Gerber multitool (plyer jaws) Mid hip left, qd clip for Motorola I700 cellphone

Forward left hip, clip on nylon case for Fluke 73

Forward right hip, nylon case big enough to hold titanium cased PDA

On a ball chain around my neck is a karambit, depending on how tight my tshirt is. If it prints, it goes elsewhere.

Sometimes I feel like freaking Batman. In cool weather, I often wear a photographers vest with all sorts of pockets and whatnot..but its simply too hot during the summer months as most machine shops and my truck, are not airconditioned.

Id like to consolidate some of that stuff into one case/pouch etc. I tend to leave Stuff behind at customers...though it doesnt happen much anymore..so having it ON me is better whan something I can leave behind like a "man bag"

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

He does pouches too?????

Hummmmmm

Thanks!

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Yes, I have 2 of them that are smaller than what it sounds like you need but very nice. These are designed to wrap velcro around something like a welding lead to store tig rods and other stuff ya might need at the end of the hose so you don't have to get out of position to get expendables. He also makes a wonderful sunshade for the laptop so you can see the thing in the sunlight. I have one of those and bought them for all the techs at work as we do a lot of our stuff outdoors and it requires a laptop to talk to the equipment. We used to have to plan the trips to be there at the right time or throw a coat or something over the laptop. He does good work :) Glenn

Reply to
Glenn