[HO] Lumber doors

Does anyone make a detail part for lumber doors, as used on the ends of some steam-era boxcars?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mark,

AAR Boxcar End with Lumber Door

Stan Rydarowicz 165 Manchester Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio 44509

For cars ends maybe these would work. As far as just the detail parts I don't know. A good site to find parts and information for steam era freight cars is

maybe you can find somthing there. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

In the steam era, generally the box cars with end doors were special cars for automobiles. Box cars for stick lumber were loaded and unloaded one stick at a time. This was a time before fork lift loading and unloading as it is today with center beam and general flat cars.

Dave Decker

Mark Mathu wrote:

Reply to
dsq

Lumber doors are small doors, more like a window, on the ends of the cars to allow long sticks that would otherwise be too unwieldy to go through the side door, to be loaded in a standard boxcar.

Scroll down abould halfway down this page:

and look high up on the end.

Jeff Sc. No Party Affiliation, Ga.

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

Thank you Jeff

Dave Decker

"Jeff Sc." wrote:

Reply to
dsq

Thank you Jeff

Dave Decker

"Jeff Sc." wrote:

Reply to
dsq

Thanks, Bruce. I've seen the information on Stan's boxcar ends at

although I haven't seen this product in person.

I am hoping that there is some manufacturer not listed in the Walthers catalog that makes individual lumber door detail parts.

What I'm attempting to do is add a lumber door to the end of an Accurail car with wood ends (which is at best a fair match for the prototype I'm modeling), so I'm not sure if it is worth buying an entire steel boxcar end, just to cut out a detail part that would at best be a close match, to use on an $11 boxcar kit.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mark, I don't know if you received my post regarding lumber doors. Grandt Line make a detail set for a D&RGW narrow gauge boxcar, which includes a lumber door. It almost identical to those used on older standard gauge single sheath cars, so it may be useful to you. It is part #300-5001.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Here's what I did to add a simple lumber door to the end of my Accurail model:

I fabricated the lumber door on the "A" end from styrene 1x12, 2x8 (scale 1'-2" long) and a short piece of 0.060" angle, as shown:
hindsight I wish I had used a 4x8 instead of a 2x8 for the door. The door would stand out as far as the end braces and be a little more obvious.

I replaced the model's grab irons and handrails with wire replacements, and cut the underside of the fishbelly underframe to be straight and added a new bottom flange. The wood grain was brought out with a wash of India ink and alcohol, and the car was weathered with Ceramcoat acrylics applied with an airbrush. I added paper tags to the car doors using a piece of a phone book page (as described in the July '04 Model Railroader magazine) and finished the model with Intermountain 33" wheels and Kadee #58 couplers.

- - - - Mark Mathu The Green Bay Route:

Mark Mathu

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I ended up wedging a piece of pink foam insulation into the car body (permanently) to pry the sides apart just before I inserted the floor into the body.

Reply to
Mark Mathu