Old Kawneer doors

I have some older Kawneer aluminum framed, glass, school entry, dog-able doors (w/"Dor-O-Matic" crash bar) that have rather clunky, sticky, squeeky action. Anyone know where I can get a wee bit of info on these puppies before I start opening them up? I went to the Kawneer site, but they have no info on Dor-O-Matics nor anything that looks like these doors. The Dor-O-Matic site shows only new stuff.

BTW, are these school style double doors with no center latch pretty secure? Looks to me like you could slip a bent rod between the doors and pull the crash bar fairly easily. Since there will be a day care center in the building, we will likely have to keep this type, but maybe we should upgrade to something more secure?

Reply to
FacMan

It has a rack & pinion that drives the top & bottom rods home. The pinion gear is the part that usually wears out. I picked up some at Bell's Security Sales in Bloomfield, NJ. 800-772-2266 Unfortunately, it comes in a complete rebuild kit.

You could make up a gap guard and install it on the inside. Something similar to the DonJo gap guard for Adams Rite locksets. It'll need to be at least 5-6 feet long.

Reply to
me

whats the model number of the hardware, should be on the latch end, UNDER the cover plate... there is, 'exposed' hardware that you could put on 1 door, the rods are visible, and go up and down along the door stile... to LOCK 1 door, then on the other you could use a form of panic bar hardware... you got 2 problems here... PHJ (persons having juristiction (life safety) having a say in waht you can do, and money...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Do you have a lock problem or a door problem, or perhaps a door closer/ door piviot/hinge problem?

Don't know? Don't mess with it, your likely do more harm than good.

I went to the Kawneer site, but they have no

They make an interlocking astragal that allows full function of the panic hardware yet thwarts any attempt to fish a wire to actuate the push bars.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Very odd advice. I am responsible for the building, including these doors. I am looking for people who are interested in sharing useful information. With a diagram of the mechanisms and a bit of advice on what usually goes wrong I'll be well able to service them. I also voiced an interest in making them a bit more secure.

The problem is with the action of the latches and the condition of the dogging mechanism. The crash bar is a Dor-O-Matic 990 that operates rods through the top and bottom of each door. The action is squeaky and the dogs seem stripped or something. The closers seem fine, but one door does not always latch when left to close on its own.

Reply to
FacMan

find the place around you that sells panic door PARTS... tell him the model of the door you got and get the diagram off him, PLUS the cam gear. the door can be warped, which is a SERIOUS problem.. practically not fixable.. according to the glass men I talk to.

ALL the mechanism is UNDER the panic bar... 6 allen screws to get it off...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

OK so why does the latch not work properly? If you can, isolate each variable until you have a definite symptom and then find the *cause* of the symptom.

As an example, replacing a latch might allow the door to latch, but if the door is out of adjustment and this causes too much stress on the latch the new latch might very well fail in short order.

On an aluminum door there is usually a combination of factors that need to be addressed in order to bring the whole door/lock assembly into proper function.

The crash bar is a Dor-O-Matic 990 that operates rods

Try opening the door and actuating the upper latch. If it works with the door open, then door alignment is the prime suspect.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

a door closer/

harm than good.

including these doors. I

information.

---snip---

"FacMan", many folks "do more harm than good" when they "don't know" what they are doing. many of these same folks are "responsible for buildings". many also mess things up.

not "odd advice" at all. no one here knows you are your capabilities.

no flame intended...

Reply to
"Key