Basement Shop Vent

I do all sorts of work in my basement "shop", from welding to woodworking to metal working to spray painting. i decided i needed a vent.

my old basement window had seen better days, so i removed the glass part and screwed a piece of 3/4" ply over the frame.

the following links are pics of my vent. blower was $52 from Grainger, and the wood was approx $20 from Home Depot. the blower got mounted 1st directly to the ply, then i built a box to go around it. the neat part is the sliding door contraption that i made so i can seal off the outside from the blower outlet when not in use...

overall it works ok. if your basment is sealed up good and you have a gas or oil fired burner down there then make sure you have some air inlet when running the fan or else you can back draft the burner flu.

the vent

inside
closing the vent
the door handle

Kryptoknight

Just one question, why filter the air you are blowing outside? If you have an other window you are using for inlet air, I could understand a filter there. I guess you might have to protect your blower?

Kryptoknight wrote:

woodworking to

Grainger, and

Reply to
Eric D

yes, i'm minimizing dirt that gets to the blower mechanics. paint sprays and fine dust from woodworking can cake up rather quickly making the blower wheel heavier and less efficient. the filter will dramatically minimize this issue.

for some operations i use a quality face mask. the main purpose of this filter is to get those unwanted fumes/smoke/dust out of my basement. eventually i'll finish insulating and put up some sheetrock.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Sound like you know what you're doing.

A good idea is to keep any heating/ cooling vents segregated from the rest of the house as well. Codes for heated garages typically need separate systems. 8:-)

- "Kryptoknight" - spluttered in news:M5AMd.145527$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Reply to
Greg M

Reply to
RoyJ

that is a nice set up, you could a cheaper alternative, next time you see your local HVAC guythat does repair on your HVAC unit, ask him about used "regular house hold HVAC fan units" my guy said they throw out/ replace or upgrade working used units about once /week. it goes to the junk yard /recycled. these are the same squarell cage type blowers that you have but much larger and much cheaper,( the one he dropped off did not cost me anything yet) , he said he will bring his trailer by one day to have some gizmo welded on, I guess a 6 pac of beer would have the same effect. since they don't need those old units anyway.

what does it do? it is much larger , usually can run on 110 or on 220V and has 3 or 2 speed this all depends on how you hook it up and to which wire , normally it it has a good printed wiring diagram on the cage. I can't remember on the CFM but it is over a 1000 (1200 or 1400 CFM) don't flame m eif I am wrong on that ) but I can tel you it will pull a large amount of air in a hurry. you can set the speed if one is too high. a 2 pole single lever switch 220V 30 A at home depot is around $10 how ever lesserrated will dojust fine since the blower I have only pulls 3 or 7 amp, in 220 V mode. those are very quiet.

mine sits on top of a large 4 grawer olfice cabinet (was free also ) the office workers had trouble with its locking mechanizem, could not open it , then couldnot lock it, so they junked it. I de-gutted the lock ( i Don't need to lock it) anyway it sits at a perfect hight with the garage window opening.

can you imagine the dust and grime these blowers suckin in a home, yet run for ever. (those cheap walmart disposable filters ain't caching sh*t) it should pull any dust particles or paint smell out , no problem. just some idea for future vent projects.

(please ignore spelling mistakes, don't feel like spell checking it. ) turned out longer than I wanted.

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Looks good ... what size filter are you using? I'm wanting to make an air cleaner for my garage ...

One possible concern: Are you using this to vent when spraying solvent-based paint or finish? My understanding (limited though it undoubtedly is) is that you have to have a special blower to avoid the possibility of igniting the solvent vaports. If you're spraying a water-based finish, then this doesn't apply.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield