Which Security Cylinder

I am putting in all new door hardware in a remodel and will either be using a Baldwin or Schlage A type lock ... see other post! I am considering swapping out the cylinders primarily for the purpose of key control. The cylinder that I like the best is ABUS, but is not widely known in the US and hard to get replacement keys for. They do make cylinders for Schlage A Type and Baldwin. They are very hard almost impossible to pick and are drill proof. But you have to deal with the US distributor exclusively and they were to go belly up have to deal with the company in Germany. So, I am thinking of Kabba, Medico, Multilock, Abloy etc. Which cylinder would offer a good lock, relatively hard to pick, drill proof and offer the key control that while I can get at a locksmith is very carefully controlled and is relatively easy to rekey and master keys for. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Michael Roback

this might come down to the case of the hundred dollar key/lock cylinder, on a $100 door... IE, meaning there are OTHER security flaws that offer easy access, IGNORING the lock/key

I have a person that called for a duplicate key on his house... (Missouri) and it seems that SOMEWHERE, the builder found a German lock and Cylinder.. I could not get blanks in under a full box, but found an old shop that had a few, and sent him there... 'depending on price\, the Abus might be a doable, IF you do not necessarily want the high $ expense of the medeco/Assa type locks.. Picking is not the usual method of attack on a burglary, so it seems. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Of the options you list, they will all offer realively the same amount of drill resistance (assuming that you get a UL 487 rated model). Also, most of the manufacturers you list make a wide variety of different cylinders, so it is hard to make blanket comparisons.

In general, since they are all good, it comes down to a personal preference issue: I like abloy, and find that they tolerate almost any type of abuse. On the downside, it seems that a lot of average users find the traditional abloy mechanisms without disk steering annoying. Try before you buy.

Kaba, depending on the model (espicially Gemini) will probably have the lowest resistance to picking or, more likely, impressioning of the options. That isn't to say that they are easy to bypass, just that if you actually have reason to worry about sophisticated picking, they have lower resistace than Medeco, Abloy, or Mul-t-lock.

Nothing wrong with Mul-t-lock or Medeco...the both offer excellent key control and pick resistance. If anything, I like Medeco better, probably just because I have more experence with them. Older Mul-T-Locks, before the serrated pins were definitely pickable, but, AFAIK, the current models have fixed this.

Medeco probably rekeys and masterkeys easier than the other options, Abloy would probably be next, followed by the dimple keyed locks. In most areas of the US, there are lots of locksmiths that can work on Medeco and Abloy.

Personally, I would get either Abloy or Medeco.

Since you're going to spend a good bit of money on this, you really should actuallly handle the various cylinders and keys in question. You want something that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Reply to
bob555

I've been very fond of Medeco. I'm not sure if their old commercial keyway is still available at wholesalers, but it knocks about 99.9% of the keymakers out of the running. Biaxial is surely available, they have several levels of key control there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon