Help Removing Deadbolt in Security Door

I recently moved into a house and want to change the locks. No problems with those on the regular door but I cannot find a way to get the deadbolts out of the metal security door. The deadbolts have no name on them but are keyed to a Kiwkset keyway. Where one usually fings screws ( at 4 and 8 o'clock) there are screws with no discernable head. Since I enjoy doing things myself, can anyone suggest the proper tools and/or approach?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tony

Probably what you have is a deadbolt with anti-tamper plugs in the head of the screws. Take a small flat blade tool (small chisel or knife or small screwdriver) of some kind and gently try to pry the small caps off. That should expose a philips head screw.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

locks. No

a way to get

deadbolts have no

usually

no

anyone

one way screwdriver maybe ?

Reply to
"Key

Either you have one way screws, or you have little plugs in the screws called drive pins. Another possibility is that you have a lock with shielded screws.

Look at the face plate on the bolt. often this is the place where you will find the brand name.

Also is this a double cylinder or a single cylinder lock?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

This may be of the Lori varity where the set screws for the cylinders is behind the bolt scalp.

Remove the two screws that hold on the plate where the bolt comes out & look deep in there on both sides of the bolt for a small hex screw.

If there, you'll need a long wrench to loosen them.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

if you put the key into the keyway, and turn it roughly 30-45 degrees to the right, do the screws suddenly show themselves?

Reply to
Jack

But, did he LOOK inside the DB for the set screws?

I took his statement to mean that there were no visible screws.

Although they may be of the "One way" variety.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

by the description, they are one way type... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If they are the one way type there is a tool available to remove them from most locksmith suppliers. He probably can't get it at the local hardware store although I'm sure it can be found online somewhere.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Thanks Keyman. I was thinking Lori too. The post does indicate that the poster can see the screw, but the head has been blocked.

This sounds like it could be similar to the Schlage models. They use a little cover that is forced into the head of the screw to cover it up. All you see is a 1/4 inch circle with the same finish as the deadbolt.

A sharp knife will pry it out if worked around the edge of the cover.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

screws.

remove them from most

hardware store

believe I have seen them at home depot or lowes ? maybe not ?

Reply to
"Key

but they could also be of the "sargent" type. The covers move out of the way when a key is inserted and turned roughly 30 degrees.

Reply to
Jack

covers move out of the

yep, could also have been a trick question.

Reply to
"Key

Really? For the 1 way slot screws where the slot edges required for loosening have been rounded away?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Cut another slot.

Reply to
Skip

If he is replacing, not rekeying the locks, he might as well just break out the rotary pick and drill the screws.

Reply to
bob555

The location of them is usually such that that is eiser said than done.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Sorry I have been away for a while and thanks to all who wrote. It seems that UPUHRS5437 was correct. It is a "Lori?" type. From the inside, I put the key in and turned abour 15 degrees left and WAHLAH I could see two Phillips screws.

I must admit I am a rank amateur, but I have rekeyed the regular "Kwikset" type locks on the front and back doors. Now I that I know how to get them out, I think I'll give these security door locks a try.

This lock stuff is pretty exciting and amazing.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Tony

dangit, and I said turn to the right. Now you all see where my mind has been.

Reply to
Jack