Schlage F knobset

Anyone know of a way to remove a keyed Schlage F knob without rotating the key before depressing the retainer? It's unlocked.

Key's broken off deeeep inside and I don't think it's being removed unless I can get the core out and push it out the back. I've heard there's a way to push the retainer on these without turning the key (obviously impossible here), but I don't know the details.

Thanks much,

- Brandon

Reply to
Brandon Oto

You'd have to disassemble the lock from the inside out. Almost impossible because the lock is stamped together, and I've never personally even attempted to do this.

Also, the key will not push out the back of the cylinder because the back is filled in solid.

Your best bet would be to take a pair of pliers and rip the face of the lock to extract the cylinder. Then take a new (or used) knob to replace the destroyed knob.

Sunsh> Anyone know of a way to remove a keyed Schlage F knob without rotating

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

I actually have viewed the cylinders in this building and know that they are not capped on the rear, which is why this came up. Killing the knob is an option but it'd be nice to avoid it...

Reply to
Brandon Oto

Make yourself a little helper. Cut a blank with a lengthwise notch ao the top of the blade will retain the pins and give room for your extractor to work.

Since you apperently have the ability to take the lock off the door you might also try this. Assuming the correct key is the one broken off the tip is holding the proper pins at shearline. This leaves the pins closest to the hole in the front of the cylinder that need to be picked.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I'll give it a shot.

It is not the correct key, by the way.

Reply to
Brandon Oto

Not the correct key? Then a little trickier but still it should be extractable, especially if you have the knob in hand.

Also you might want to do a cost/benifit calculation value of your time vs. new F lock. Customer might be better off buying a new one.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf