best interchangeable core locks

I have a Best interchangeable core pad lock with a key and a secound core with a key. I am wanting to switch the cores how do I do this?

Reply to
Xcelric

You'll need a change key for each cylinder to remove the old and put in the new. This is a different key from the one that opens the lock. If you have one, you can put it in the lock, turn it slightly and pull the old core out. Putting the new one in is the same. If you don't have a control key, you'll have more trouble and it's not something that can really be described in writting to someone that doesn't already have a knowledge of IC Cores.

Mike Thomas Lock & Key For an email list discussion of locksmith related marketing concepts join us:

MThomas859

Not with Best. The control key and the operating key are the same length.

Just by memory, I believe that it's either Sgt. or Yale that have a longer control key. But I don't work with them very often so I could be wrong about that.

Again, not with Best. The control key bittings (CKB) are not related to the operating key bittings. Two totally different shear lines. The only relation is that all the pins in a given stack (if pinned properly) will add up to 23. Knowing the operating key bitting is no help at all in determining the control key. :(

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? :o

Best would be 6 or 7 pin not five (unless they are construction keys). And while I have seen direct bitting stamped on best keys (which is pretty stupid to do if you ask me), they will usually be stamped with (if anything) MK labeling (A1, A2, A3, etc.) And again (unless you have the keying chart, this information would be no help in determining the CKB.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

no its not..

sorry, no..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

a SFIC like Best takes a MINIMUM of 2 keys..

1 to lock/unlock, and the second to install/remove the core.. the key cuts have NO relationship to each other, other than the total pin stak must total a certain number, depending on which of the 3 pinning methods are used, and that has to do with the diff in cut depths --Shiva--
Reply to
--Shiva--

If memory serves, a "change key" is the lowest level user key. A control key removes the core. I know... it sure doesn't make any sense that you "change the core" with a control key, and open the lock with a change key.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're thinking Schlage, which uses a longer key. Best uses the same length.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've seen inside Sargent cores some time ago. It's possible to make a control key from a master. Sometimes. Whole different system.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

With a Best lock, two keys are needed.

One is the key to work the lock/unlock function, commonly called a change key.

The other is a core removal key that allows removal & replacement of the core, commonly called a change key.

Easy if you have both. Harded if one or both missing, but, doable.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Newnsie:

I think the terms you are looking for are "operating key(s)" which allow the plug of the core to rotate 360 degrees to operate the cam connected to the housing (the range of motion is only limited mechanically by the lockworks operated by the cam)...

A "control key" allows a core to be removed from the housing by operating the control lug (approximately 15 to 20 degrees of rotation) which allows the core to be removed or inserted into a housing...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student

Reply to
Evan