93 dodge spirit mystery

Had to go on a make key for auto job. The customer said when she got the car her key worked the doors and ignition, but not the trunk. Not having codes, I took a Y155 blank and had the driver's door impressioned in moments. Went to the passenger side and fine tuned the key. Just for the H of it I tried the trunk and it opened smooth. Went to the ignition and cuts 1 and 2 started marking. After a few hits with the file it turned to aux but not to on. Being the shop was about a mile away I ran back to decode the key and cut one by code. Decoding was off just enough to have some doubts so I made

4 keys, one with cuts 1 higher then the decode , 1 on the code, and 2 with a combination of both codes. Went back to the car and all 4 worked the doors and trunk, but none the ignition. Decided to call it a day because it was starting to get dark and will go back tomorrow to retrace. Any suggestions on what happened? To me Dodge locks are weak to begin with but I've never ran across one so sloppy as 4 different keys would open everything.

mr.bill

Reply to
mr.bill

I am thinking... trunk is cuts 3-7 door adds #2, and ign adds #1 this from the BOW...

got a glove box lock? pull it and get those cuts FIRM..

and IMO, Dodge is the BIGGEST piece of crap-lock quality EVER... barring the foreign that I seldom see... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

weak to begin with

keys would open

EVER...

93 dodge spirit (ign has two extra) Ign = 1-7 D/T = 3-7 Glv = 5-7

on a 93, I usually just impression the ignition very gently (marks great)

96+ get door and progress.

think mr bills customer might have been given a valet key ?

Reply to
"Key

I have to agree about the lack of quality. They must have been made by the same company that made AMC door locks.

Thus the reason 1 and 2 marked. Maybe I was too deep from the doors? I'll have a shot at it tommorrow, being I live less then a mile away and have to go by there anyway. Bad thing about the ignition, if it's as cheap as the rest, then it should of been as easy as the rest. All this on a call quoted $20 cheaper then normal by my dispatcher. LOL I guess those are the kind you really earn your money. Payback for the easy ones.

mr.bill

Reply to
mr.bill

quality

been made by the

(marks

the doors? I'll

away and have to

rest, then it should

dispatcher. LOL

Payback for the easy

the safest way it to take a door lock apart and get that much of the key exact then progress the remaining first two. or like I stated, just impression the ignition gently. there really will be no problems as long as you baby it a little.

g'luck

Reply to
"Key

would not have done the trunk, PLUS 93 was the "B++++++) meaning it ONLY worked 93, 92 is different as is 94...

then in 94 they changed it again...as far as cuts and which where...

did an ignition for a 91 yesterday... $60 DEALER cost for the lock... over a c note by the time it was done...plus labor

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yep. Which opens the question of whether there's a reason they weren't given the main key. If they're legit this is a good chance to educate them about this feature of their car and earn some goodwill... but you might want to be just a trifle cautious here.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam
93's had a real thin blank for the master key. IIRC the 93's were also the first year with the cuts moved back from the tip to allow them a longer ramp to the tip of the key.

I suspect that if you duplicate the key on to the proper (thin) blank, it should work just fine. Code cutting can be a little confusing as the specs changed often so it is easy to get mixed up.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I did cut the key on a Y155 blank. Found out that ,after making a working key from doors and trunk, when I put the key into ignition and turned back to ACC, it must of bent a wafer. Replaced cyl. and customer was happy. CHEAP P.O.S.

Thanks for all the advice. mr.bill

Reply to
mr.bill

making a working

and turned back

customer was happy.

next time be very gentle when working with the ignition.

g-day

Reply to
"Key