Key for trunk of 1992 Plymouth Acclaim

A friend has a 1992 Plymouth. As an original owner, she had one key that
would operate ignition, doors and trunk. About 5 years there was some
work done on the car. After that it took two keys, one operated the
ignition and doors and the other key operates the trunk. I don't know
what happened but I suspect the trunk lock was replaced.
My friend would like the trunk fixed to work with the main key so she
only has to worry about one key. I assume that a locksmith can change
the trunk lock tumblers to work with the main key. Is that correct?
Assuming it is, what would be a reasonable charge for that service if
she brought the car to the locksmith? She lives on the north side of
Chicago. I'm trying to convince her to live with both keys but she is
stubborn. ;-)
Reply to
njoracle
Probably, unless someone did something particularly weird.
Ask locksmiths in that area. This varies by regional costs of doing business.
Reply to
Joe Kesselman
BEFORE you try that.. you might try a penetrating lubricant.. WD 40.. or something similiar and make certain its actually keyed different..
the last 3 I got calls on, were just a bit dirty and stuck..and freed up.. --Shiva--
Reply to
invalid unparseable
I talked to a local Chrysler dealer and he said if she had a key made and the key was made on "valet" stock, that would explain why it would work in the ignition and the door but not the trunk. I don't know if that could be part of the problem or not.
Reply to
njoracle
That would explain a key not operating the trunk. It wouldn't explain a trunk key not operating the door or ignition. Though wear and/or crud in the lock *could* combine with a worn key... so yeah, Shiva's suggestion of trying to clean the lock first and seeing whether that makes a difference seems worth trying.
(I need to give my own car locks a shot or two, though I think the problem is a worn-out key. Need to find the original I carefully put aside when I got the car; I know where it *should* be but... Either that, or do a cut-to-factory-depths "original" key.)
Reply to
Joe Kesselman
if its an aftermarket blank it might by a Y149 something along that line.. if its a Axness copy, will have 2 numbers.. cuts look worn? --Shiva--
Reply to
invalid unparseable
or they may have lost her key and had one made incorrectly. 92 acclaim had two code series. G1-1394 blank Y154 J1-3580 blank Y155 one key did fit all locks.
not sure of the price in Chicago. prices vary depending on the geographical location. around here, Louisiana. the price would be around 25 to 35 bucks. if the lock doesn't have to be replaced.
- "Key"
Reply to
Key
The number on the key is Y157. I haven't seen the key but she tells me it doesn't look worn.
I asked her to tell me again what is the story. Her account is as follows:
1. When she first bought the car in 1992, Chrysler supplied her with 2 master keys and 2 valet keys.
2. 5 years ago she took the car into the dealer for regular service and the dealer lost the master key. She could not find the other master key so she had to use the valet key. The valet key would not work in the trunk. The dealer said he could not provide her with a new master key so he gave her a key that would work in the trunk. She says it will not work in the ignition. She said the dealer did not give her a new trunk lock.
3. I don't know why the dealer could not provide her with a new master key. I suspect that he did in fact put in a new trunk lock and gave her a key that would work in it. How else would you explain the fact that the key that works in the trunk lock does not work in the ignition from day one.
4. She wants me to call Chrysler, give them the VIN, and see if I can get a new master key. I don't know if Chrysler can provide a new master key but even if they could, I don't know if it would solve the problem in light of the possibility (probability) of 3. above.
5. FWIW the car has 48,000 miles on it and she being 78 and on a fixed income sees no need to get another car. I'm in NY and she is in Chicago so I can't see what is going on.
Reply to
njoracle
That's what I think happened. See my reply to Shiva.
Thanks for that ballpark.
> - > "Key" > > >
Reply to
njoracle
idiot dealer.. just copy onto the master blank..
a Y 157 is a 94 and NEWER lock system..so if thats the trunk key, he did in fact change out the lock..
if you have the valet key-talk to a local 'smith and have him put it back on the master-BUT, this will not help the trunk situation.. make CERTAIN its explaind to him what happened..
long distance stuff is fun..LOL.. btdt as well. price of a new trunk lock to THAT car? not a clue..if you really want to go back to the 1 key..
--Shiva--
Reply to
invalid unparseable
Y157 is the wrong key blank for a 92.. maybe the trunk lock was replaced with the wrong replacement ?
could very well be because of the incorrect blank.
yes the dealer can provide a new master key if you give them the complete and correct VIN. or like Shiva stated, a locksmith (knowing the situation) can help you rectify the problem..
g'luck
Reply to
Key
She now gave me the number of the trunk key which is Y 154. My understanding from the Chrysler NG is that Y 154 is the correct blank for the master key for that car. Even though the Y 157 key is for a newer lock system (as you pointed out), it works in the ignition but not the trunk. The Y 154 is the key that works in the trunk but not the ignition. Doesn't make any sense to me unless the Y 154 is slightly worn so that it will work in the trunk but not the ignition. If that were to be the case, then maybe a new Y 154 will solve the problem.
In any event it is way to complicated for those of us in our 70's so I convinced her to take both keys to a locksmith to see if the locksmith can figure it out.
Many thanks to you and the OP's for responding to this thread. Hopefully, the locksmith will get it fixed.
> >>4. She wants me to call Chrysler, give them the VIN, and see if I can >>get a new master key. I don't know if Chrysler can provide a new master >>key but even if they could, I don't know if it would solve the problem >>in light of the possibility (probability) of 3. above. > > > if you have the valet key-talk to a local 'smith and have him put > it back on the master-BUT, this will not help the trunk > situation.. > make CERTAIN its explaind to him what happened.. > > >>5. FWIW the car has 48,000 miles on it and she being 78 and on a fixed >>income sees no need to get another car. I'm in NY and she is in Chicago >>so I can't see what is going on. > > long distance stuff is fun..LOL.. btdt as well. > price of a new trunk lock to THAT car? not a clue..if you really > want to go back to the 1 key.. > > --Shiva-- > >
Reply to
njoracle
the difference is in the key blank.. the 154 has a 90 degree point, and the 157 has like a 60 degree point.. all cuts measured from the tip.. and the difference between them is that spacing.. the depths of cuts is the same but the tip to first cut dimension is different..and they will not interchange..
--Shiva--
Reply to
invalid unparseable
Is'nt that G0-1394 (Y154)?
My book shows only one code for 90-92. Could have started the other code during the year.
goma.
Reply to
goma865
my bad... G0 instead of G1 is correct.
in genericode, the code series G1-G1394 covers years 89-92 and the first of some 92 models.
yep, 92..
Reply to
Key

Site Timeline