Keys to 91 Acclaim

The lady called this AM. Lost her keys at the party last night. Says it had two keys, someone changed out the ignition.

I've remade a lot of the old single sided keys. But this one has me worried. Yah, I know, I'm way behind the times in car keys.

I'm thinking to pull the column and see if there is a code on the cyl (maybe not if it's an All Lock) and see if I remembered to photo copy the G series codes and put them in my notebook.

Impression the passenger door. I've done enough Datsun and Toyota back in the 80's, oughta do the job.

Anyone give me some clues? Does this sound reasonable? Supposed to be rain moving in tonight, and through tomorrow. She's going to call her boyfriend back and get back to me.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

DONT FORGET... glove box lock has 'some' of the cuts, IF it has one... also, before pulling the door, can you get the trunk open from inside?

imp the ign...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Don't impression it unless you want to break a wafer.

It uses a Y154 and the ignition is held in place with a bolt.

If you dont have the EEZ Reader then the trunk lock MAY be easier to go after than the other cylinders.

There should be a code on the drivers door or the ignition G0-1394.

Ignition/1-6, Door/1-5, Trunk/3-7 from the bow.

.757, .665, .573, .481, .389, 297, .205

1=340, 2=315, .3=.290, .4=265.

Have fun.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I'll look for a glovebox. And maybe pull a doorpanel. Thanks for the good ideas.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Sorry I said driver door. Never seen a code on it always the passenger side.

Shiva that ignition will break a wafer in a heartbeat if your not real careful. I have done it but I've also broke them. An Acclaim and also a Jeep with the same setup.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I'll have to print that out. Thank you.

She called back 4:48 on Friday to ask if I might be able to do it tomorrow. She wants to wait another day to see if the keys show up.

She says the ign was changed out some time ago, and so it's a different key than the doors/trunk.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

since he IS dealing with 2 keys then, he is screwed... --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yea I guess it's best to pull it out and look for the code or if the code isn't on it because it was replaced then get another from the auto parts store.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Bring an un-coded ignition cylinder with you incase you booger the one in the car. These can be impressioned, but you need to go easy with the torque. Try using your code machine to make the cuts.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Super special thanks to all who gave thoughtful advice. I was able to get a key to work, by sight reading the wafers in the ignition. I had some codes for the previous F series, and it seemed to be close enough spacing to get the key to work.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

F is the same I think.

Your weclome.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I was able to sight read the wafers, and then cut a key. Cut a bit shallow, and then impression for the final "tweak" to get it right.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated